Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trying to make 3d template for rc buggy

currently i am trying to paint my next body for my RC buggy. i have a few pics that might help explain what i am looking for. basically i need to design the body in photoshop, print it out on the different angles that would help me later while painting to keep my ideas flowing.

i need a top view, side view and front view. here are a few that i am needing to see. only, they need to be clear so i can design on them..

this is what i have to paint..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyosho.jpg 
Views:	2433 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	56142

i am ultimatly looking to open up an image, move it around to see the design from different angles. these 3 being the most important. i will then make some layers with sticker paper and paint.

any and ALL help is greatly appreicated!!
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 07 February 2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked images and advertising - please see forum guidelines.

Default Re: trying to make 3d template for rc buggy

First, you need a 3D model of your RC car. Then, you need a 3D software with a UV-Mapping function, in order to paint the textures on your model.

Most of the available 3D packages offers such functions. For example take a look at Blender, the section "UV Unwrapping" lists the available UV-Mapping functions.

Remi

well, i have absolutly NO idea what that demo video just showed me under the UV Unwrapping section. thank you for the info though. is there any other way i can just get those images i need? very new to that idea and i will never use it for anything else besides this body i am using. or another one.

We don't do freeebies here at talkgraphics.com, if it's that what you're asking for...

to be quite honest with you, i wasnt. just maybe asking for an easier program is all. maybe take those pics and hit go and make an image. be able to apply a design on it or drag a design into photoshop or something. then hit go, and it pops out my image. this is all. by no means am i asking someone to do this for me. maybe just direct me to the proper program i am looking for.

Hehe, that's funny: Hit go and that is all...

Unfortunately I don't know such a program.

Remi

i think you know what i was going for.

Some 3D editors are able to import a background image, in order to help you to model from your reference. But it costs a lot of time, to recreate it.

I've heard that there are software solutions out there which are able to create a 3D model from pictures, but I don't know if such solutions produces appropriate results (and how much pictures from different angles are necessary for something like this). Maybe the Wikipedia article about 3D computer software is a starting point for your search.

Remi

i think i may just give up on it and simply use some elbow grease to move the paper around to my likeing and stick it. this is way to advanced for me and probably just not even nessisary. you have to paint these on the inside too. so i think i maybe just thought a bit too hard on it. furthermore, i am not using an airbrush took so its not too too detailed.

thanks for your assistance.

L8

Your best bet would be to take digital photographs of the body and rework the paint job in photoshop using photographs. 3D modeling software is expensive, there is a lot of study involved just learning the basics. If you want to become a concept artist or such then this may be the path you would take. Check out Luxology's Modo, it only cost $895.00 U.S. To get ya going there are a couple of tutorials there by Andy Brown on modeling cars. http://www.luxology.com/store/training_series11.aspx
    at $25.00 each.

Enjoy.