Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Getting and 'embed' error...

Hi All

I got my flash working just fine; however, I am still getting an error: Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element 'embed' is not supported. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this error in my ASP.Net HTML file? I am really not liking Microsoft at the moment - they do NOT play nice together in the sandbox! TIA,
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."
    IP

Default Re: Getting an 'embed' error...

Well I didn't find how to fix the error - exactly. What I did find is that if I downloaded and used the ASP.NetFlash add-in, it does not use an embed tag. It seems to work...so I guess my problem is solved (for now) but if anyone does know of or does find the answer, I would love to NOT be dependent on the ASP add-in!

Thanks!
    Coleen
    IP

Default Re: Getting an 'embed' error...

Apparently the answer is to use swfObject. I'm just reading up on it now. See here
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Default Re: Getting and 'embed' error...

Thanks Egg! Yeah, I saw that - so the original code that I have that works, but generates the error in my ASP.Net. I will try the double object method and see if that works. Thanks for your assistance, I appreciate it.
    Coleen
    IP

Default Re: Getting and 'embed' error...

I ran into something similar trying to get a Flash-based photo gallery not only to run on IE and FF, but to validate as XHTML, since "embed" is automatically invalid according to the W3C. After some Googling and some head-banging I got a block of code to work, and then a guru on another forum tweaked it into something less klunky. In case it's helpful at all I'll share it here.

Code:
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="my_flash.swf" width="620" height="550" id="CC391080" align="middle">
    <param name="movie" value="my_flash.swf" />
    <param name="FlashVars" value="xmlfile=my_flash.xml" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="salign" value="lt" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
    Get <a href="http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer/">Adobe Flash Player</a> to view content.
    </object>
    Of course you'd replace "my_flash" with the name of the file in question, and the size and id parameters according to what your Flash creation software has assigned to them. The software I use creates an .xml file as well, but I'm not sure if every application does that; I'm not that Flash savvy.

From what he (the guru) told me, when you see an "object" block of code followed by an "embed" one for the same Flash, the first is for IE and the second for others like FF. In the above case the code block works fine in both browsers so there's no need for duplication to cover both cases, and avoids using "embed" altogether (which is good from an XHTML standpoint).

Anyway, hope it helps someone.
    Last edited by Spinny; 20 April 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: too many typos
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com
    IP