Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Layers gallery, other galleries

I am a new Xara user, and so far I love its speed and features.

However, I hate the Layers gallery, and the rest of the galleries.

The layers gallery is very primitive, and I am disappointed that it's not as useful as Illu$trator is (yes, Illu$trator has major issues, but its layer palette is not one of them). In Xara's layer's gallery I want to be able to see at a glance the INDIVIDUAL items in each layer (a la Adobe's overpriced software). At the moment all I can see is that layers 1-x exist, which is nearly useless when I want to know what items reside in what layer right away (for example my drawing's highlights are on layer 5.)

As for the rest of the galleries, can we PLEASE have them re-designed? They are ugly, look unprofessional and are not very user-friendly. They just look like something written in the 80s/90s, and could really use a re-write to make them more intuitive. Many parts of Xara are intuitive, but the galleries are not.

Thanks for listening

Default Re: Layers gallery, other galleries

Welcome to the TG Forums mexflyboy.

You are in very good company as these feature updates requests have been requested and discussed over and over many many many times.

My advise is, please use the Search before posting. It saves everyone some time.

Personally I'm fine with the Xtreme galleries - they do the job.

Cool Re: Layers gallery, other galleries

Hello, many thanks for this. Unfortunately I had already tried searching for my layer request in the forums, and after the third page of about 25 topics each I lost the interest of trying to trawl my way through all the posts and responses to find out if anyone has gotten an answer from Xara folks about this.

(I just don't have time to read 500 results!)

In any case, has Xara ever actually given a response to this Layer request? (I want more than just a "maybe we'll look at it" or vague "it's in progress", as I do find it irritating and slows down my workflow when I have to deal with Xara's semi-formed implementation of Layers...)

(Also, the gallery thing is a personal preference; you may like it, but I find it horrid, that's my opinion and a valid one.

Would agree with you on the Layers Gallery and maybe the Name Gallery but the others really don't matter that much so wouldn't bother with them.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by mexflyboy View Post
    In any case, has Xara ever actually given a response to this Layer request? (I want more than just a "maybe we'll look at it" or vague "it's in progress", as I do find it irritating and slows down my workflow when I have to deal with Xara's semi-formed implementation of Layers...)
    Xara generally keep tight lipped about the introduction of new features until they are a reality.
    Though they do take serious note of user requests.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Welcome to the TG Forums mexflyboy.

You are in very good company as these feature updates requests have been requested and discussed over and over many many many times.

My advise is, please use the Search before posting. It saves everyone some time.

Personally I'm fine with the Xtreme galleries - they do the job.
    Well now is an additional time that it has been requested to show Xara how unsatisfied customers are with this feature of the software. Besides if wasting your time is such a big issue just don't respond instead being rude and rolling your eyes.

I know that Xara Designer Pro 6 and Xara Xtreme Pro 5 both display individual objects in the layer gallery (in fact it took a little while for me to get used to that, as it also completely changed the method for moving objects from one layer to another).

-- Ben

mexflyboy: just wondering what version of Xara your running?...(in light of what ad1066 just said..ie that this has been addressed somewhat in the latest versions)
    In that the objects on each layer breakdown, is now functional in versions 5 and 6...
    But having said this the views you expressed RE: the galleries generally are shared by others.