Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have an old copy of Corel Xara, the CD is dated 1995 so I think it is version 1.1. I think I also have somewhere the first upgrade, loaded from the web site, presumably 1.2. It has always been very reliable, till now, only ever had trouble with the Xara font under Win 95, or was it 3.1? (so long ago I can't remember). Anyway it was OK under Win98, one of the few programs which was.... To get round (hopefully!) numerous Win98 bugs (same reason for wasting my money on Win98, 95 was so buggy as to be useless), I have formatted my hard drives, upgraded to ME, and reinstalled everything. Xara is the only program which refuses to install, I get an undecipherable error box titled "Setup Initialisation Error". I am intending to upgrade to Xara X, but as far as I can see, need to have the old version loaded to qualify for the upgrade price. Any thoughts on a workaround?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Alan Campbel
    IP

I have an old copy of Corel Xara, the CD is dated 1995 so I think it is version 1.1. I think I also have somewhere the first upgrade, loaded from the web site, presumably 1.2. It has always been very reliable, till now, only ever had trouble with the Xara font under Win 95, or was it 3.1? (so long ago I can't remember). Anyway it was OK under Win98, one of the few programs which was.... To get round (hopefully!) numerous Win98 bugs (same reason for wasting my money on Win98, 95 was so buggy as to be useless), I have formatted my hard drives, upgraded to ME, and reinstalled everything. Xara is the only program which refuses to install, I get an undecipherable error box titled "Setup Initialisation Error". I am intending to upgrade to Xara X, but as far as I can see, need to have the old version loaded to qualify for the upgrade price. Any thoughts on a workaround?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Alan Campbel
    IP

Hi Allen -

I ran into the same problem you did trying to install CorelXara on my NT box so that I could install XaraX. I finally gave up in frustration, but was able to install XaraX by having the CorelXara CD in my CD drive during the installation. Xara found the CD and confirmed that I had a previous version and installed perfectly. If you are planning to get XaraX, why not go ahead and do it now. You shouldn't have any problems with the installation.

Susie
    IP