Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default File Summary info deleted by PSPPX2

When I scan slides (TIFF format), I routinely add relevant information to the Summary section of the file using Windows Explorer (Title, author, comments, etc). If I subsequently edit the photo using PSPPX2, that information is deleted. Adobe PSE 5 and several other photo editors do the same but some, including PSPPX2, allow the info to be reentered. PSE5 locks the file and does not allow reentry. I have yet to find a photoeditor that does not mess with information that I want retained.

Do all photo editors mess with the text info in the original file? If so, why? Why do they meddle with the file in areas outwith the graphics portion?

Is there any way to prevent deletion of text from occurring?
    Last edited by Sorlie; 02 February 2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: typo
    IP

Default Re: File Summary info deleted by PSPPX2

Quote Originally Posted by Sorlie View Post
    I routinely add relevant information to the Summary section of the file using Windows Explorer (Title, author, comments, etc).
    Can you explain how you are adding those details from Windows Explorer directly?
    Or are you using a third party application/shell extension or is it function of your scanner software?
    IP

I'm adding the information directly via Windows Explorer. Right click on the thumbnail, select Properties etc. There is no other program involved in this part of the process.

Interestingly, the converse also applies. When I add text info to a file via a graphics program, it does not appear under Windows Explorer.
    IP

Ah yes, something I've never used in Windows XP.
    This doesn't appear in Vista's R/C file properties area, I'd not miss being without it anyway.

I believe this file info summary feature is likely applied on a 'per file' basis for Windows Explorer.
    In other words, loading it into an editor and saving as new file etc creates another 'file' where the source info may very well be irrelevant.

Most modern image editors retain camera EXIF (and IPTC Photo Metadata) information, but Windows Explorer summary information seems to be largely ignored.

IrfanView allows entry of IPTC Photo Metadata into a TIF file which is retained when saving as .JPG, but not the other way around.
    IP

Thank you for your feedback and attention to my problem. I'd be happy if the photoeditors did 'ignore' my information. It's the deletion that bothers me. I guess I'll have to change my protocol and enter info after editing, but I'll avoid those photo editors that lock up the file. There seems to be a presumption that one is going to use a particular company's photo album programor perhaps this 'feature' is an effort to force one to do so.

The silver lining to my particular cloud is that I've discovered this site. It is excellent and I'm sure I'll make good use of it in the future.
    IP

Stumbled across this freeware program which may help?

PhotoME is a powerful tool to show and edit the meta data of image files. Thanks to the well organised layout and intuitive handling, it's possible to analyse and modify Exif and IPTC-NAA data as well as analyse ICC profiles - and it's completely FREE!
    IP

There are many ways of adding data to images or linked to images. Psp has two. Exif has now become the most used but Psp limits the amount of extra Info that you can add. Windows tag editor allows some addition to exif but its tags are not universal.
    I have been using thumbs Plus for many years This writes Keywords to a Database, A Microsoft one as it happens that comes with windows these days. The same on that MS Access uses I believe the Psp Photo album to Media plus catalogues also use the Ms database. What I’m getting at is not all Tag editors are the same. And windows does not read Psp image only the embedded Jpeg Thumbnail vie a A Jasc Shell extension
    IP

Sledger and Trev,
    Thank you both for your advice. I'll follow up as time permits.
    I wondered what the thumb.db files were in my folders. I assumed that they were data base files but was not aware of any program that could use them.
    I've explored using Access and creating my own data base for photos and the associated info, but ran into some difficulty. Access cannot handle TIFF files without additional plug ins and that route was simply too complicated.

Thanks again both of you. I'll pursue your leads.
    IP

Big Smile.
    Dont get mixed up withmy mention of thumbs plus the Thumb db files. Thumb.db
    Are created by explorer and are the cache of thumbnails created in a Explorer window. Psp had a JBF file that was a cashe of thumbnails created by the browser and would also appear in the explorer window. currently these are stored in the appes data files for the organizer from X1 onwards rather then one in every folder.
    Thumbs plus and extencis portfolio are High end media Catalogues where you cross reference files by adding keywords. This would allow you to search for files containing the word abbey the search that selection of thumbs by say Yorkshire. so narrowing down the list. thn selecting a thumb nail which would take you to the image on your drives even tell you if it was a CD/DVD rom and the disc name.
    But Like all cross references, It depends on the amount of key words you add to a image and you willingness to keep it up to date when adding new images
    IP

Thanks Trev. I was indeed confusing the Windows Thumbs.db with the program you meant. I'm a newbie at this business of photo editing but, thanks to people like you, the learning curve is not as steep as it might be.
    IP