Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default for inphoenix - halo [blurred] using neon glow and gaussian blur

following on from here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36189

in order to soften the halo I applied gaussian blur which blurs the whole vehicle of course, so a copy of the original cutout was placed on top to hide this

I've attached the psd
    sorry the image is a bit small but the original file too big to post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halo-blur  layers.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	55955  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Default Re: for inphoenix - halo [blurred] using neon glow and gaussian blur

Why not make use of the layer style= outer glow ? That tool I would have thought would have been the first choice for that kind of job.
    IP

either way blur is necessary from my point of view - but I have not tried this in CS4..
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thank you so very much for your help. I'm so unskilled in Adobe and felt so 'useless'. I've worked with Corel since 1989 and shiver everytime I have to use Adobe... but for my work it is necessary to keep in 'sync' with the printer I do work for so I've installed Adobe so I could use the file(s) they send me. I usually convert to Corel app but this one job I could not figure out with Corel. I'm only as far as CS3 and don't see me doing an upgrade soon.

Thank you again so very much.

inphoenix
    IP

glad to help, and that you got it sorted
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by inphoenix View Post
    Thank you so very much for your help. I'm so unskilled in Adobe and felt so 'useless'. I've worked with Corel since 1989 and shiver everytime I have to use Adobe... but for my work it is necessary to keep in 'sync' with the printer I do work for so I've installed Adobe so I could use the file(s) they send me. I usually convert to Corel app but this one job I could not figure out with Corel. I'm only as far as CS3 and don't see me doing an upgrade soon.

Thank you again so very much.

inphoenix
    Once you know one app, another app is easy to understand. It's the same app with a different layout.
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Idefriginit View Post
    Once you know one app, another app is easy to understand. It's the same app with a different layout.
    I can argue with that
    IP

Just checked out your photo and wonder if there is anyway to remove the 'red' from the halo. I found I could not get a really white white halo. Mine was so grey... (gray) hahaha
    IP

if you cant remove the red, it is probably because your screen has a cast of red through it. This means you have to adjust your monitor. And a white halo is easy.

With your truck on a transparent background, hold down Ctrl and click on the image thumbnail of the layer, this will select the pixels in the layer.

Make a new layer and make sure that layer is selected. Then fill the layer with white. Place the layer behind the truck layer and then apply gaussian blur.

White halo. Btw, if you have it on a black background, the halo will ofc appear grey since the blur is creating a blend between white (solid) and transparent. So with the black there, it appears grey lol.

If you want there to be white then the blur, you can expand the selection before bluring it to create white pixels outside the border of the truck.
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by inphoenix View Post
    Just checked out your photo and wonder if there is anyway to remove the 'red' from the halo. I found I could not get a really white white halo. Mine was so grey... (gray) hahaha
    HI

A quick and dirty way of getting white

using layer style - outer glow - simple [as RTW pointed out... ]

and duplicating layers to enhance the effect....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outer glow simple copy.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	56337  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP