Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

Voters
166. This poll is closed
  • Yes

93 56.02%
  • No

73 43.98%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

I couldn't think of a meaningful response to people who felt that searching the web now made buying mags redundant ( other than to each his own ), until I got my sticky fingers on issue 157 of Computer Arts.

pg 86 features the work of 2 brothers - handmadefont - you can see the page and some of their work here

http://handmadefont.com/blog/

This is probably the magazine design, but thought that the listing of media used was rather nice........ first col, Photoshop, Illustrator, 3dsMax. second col, Xara, followed by, toast, tomato ketchup, hammers and wire.

The 2nd item, pg 37. I had been watching the Bakers biscuit ad on TV and kept meaning to phone the company to find out who had made it. The execution of the 3D had me checking the detail every time it is shown - which is not that often. It's a small company in Cape Town, Shy the Sun.

There is just so much on the internet, that one can miss the truly exceptional work out there - some of which the mags highlight.

Yvonne, who has to admit that she never ever thought to cut up toast for fonts!
    IP

Default Re: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

Yes, print versus computer screen doesn't compare for static work and as you say there's often great stuff mentioned in computer magazines that you might never stumble upon.

I don't buy many magazines any more, but that's more down to my own changing interests and a reluctance to spend money these days.
    IP

There are a few computer magazines I still get. MAXIMUMPC is my favorite , funny I can't recall the other right now.
    I like to stay up on current technology.The reading made me adept at doing my own computer builds.A fun hobby and I also do some repair.
    IP

I stopped buying print publications (newspapers or magazines) years ago. I do get ESPN the Magazine only because when you sign up to become an "insider" you get the magazine.
    Creating Great Designs in Life and Work
    Where I Work
    IP

I must not be as big a geek as I thought because...........

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    ........that is called a bang and the asterisk * is called a splat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I always thought a shriek was an exclamation mark..
    I always thought bang and splat and shriek required I have a girl involved......

To the original post, I will on occasion read a magazine on a rack at the store, but I seldom see any reason to buy one. I find that Extreme Tech and Extreme Build-It covers most of what I want to know about hardware, and the software I use is all either UNIX/Linux based or Xara, so the best resources are online.
    IP

I gave up reading computer enthusiast magazines ages ago - I figured that once you learnt all about Vesa Local Bus and IDE drives there was no point in knowing more..

;-)
    IP