Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

Voters
166. This poll is closed
  • Yes

93 56.02%
  • No

73 43.98%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

With the amount of information available on the web, computer magazines are really redundant.

I agree with the majority who said they were avid readers in the past, but now, what's the point?
    IP

Default Re: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

I buy 2 mags every month to stay in touch with both hardware & software and also design. The two mags that I buy are Computer Shopper and Computer Arts both which I can just about read on-line so why do I spend that money? Well it is like CD's or DVD's it is a possession thing, there is nothing like opening and reading put it down and then going back to it and it is mine. Also I finding reading from a screen tiring, boring and the design element of the mag is broken up it doesn't look the same. The only disadvantage that I can see is storage of mags.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Well put Albacore!
    I subscribe on one computer magazine (which is about both hardware and software), and at work I read a couple of magazines more. It's easier to read a magazine for example on the bus or train than to start surfing online with a laptop or hand held whatchamacallit. Also, if you are following a tutorial it is at least for me, easier to have a magazine (or book) at hands while I do the step-by-step on the computer, instead of fiddling and switching with windows, interrupting the workflow.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

IP

I answered yes, but I don't buy computer magazines, as I find that generally the content is low and the price is high. Our local library subscribes to a few, and when in the library I nearly always sit for a while and browse. If I had to buy the magazines myself, the answer would have been no.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

I answered "No". I used to, but as much for the cover discs as the written content.
    I used to buy the odd one that had some software I wanted, but I found that they were all repeating themselves too often to continue buying them.
    I find sites like cnet.com to be at least as informative as the magazines, plus it's possible to create .pdf files of any articles of interest.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Yes bob, that is exactly why I stopped buying them.
    I used to buy them for the cover floppy/cd/dvd, and
    you could get some great deals or even free software
    through that. (but I also got burned sometimes, where
    deals were only for the UK or US, so I paid the full price
    (even a bit more) and couldn`t use the software on it
    and they didn`t warn you for this on the cover)
    And the magazines were discussing software I didn`t have
    most of the time, lately, so the magazines didn`t offer me
    anything anymore, so I quit buying them.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

the question was not about buying magazines, but reading them. And as I said, I read a few because I get to read them for free at work (would hardly buy them otherwise) and one I actually subscribe because I got a good offer (and when the subscription period is over I'll quit the subscription and wait for the next offer ).
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

IP

Well Gnurf, I have to buy them to read them
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I would much sooner sit in an armchair and browse through a magazine than get lost in links on a web site. I get plenty of email from PC magazine etc, but I rarely bother to go to the web site. PC Magazine is no more and I am looking for a replacement. I read about 4 magazines and at least 6 books a month ( I am retired).
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

I think this thread has now finally settled one thing for me - I'm getting old. The arrival of PC Pro through the post (subscribing is quicker and cheaper) is a highlight of the month. Sure, quite a lot of content isn't directly relevant to me (how many times a year do I need detailed reviews making clear that all these new PCs are X times faster than mine but only cost half of what mine did?), but I've learned quite a lot just by browsing stuff and let it sink in gradually - which I would never do if I relied on online mags. Tom Arah's monthly design column is a must-read (and he's very supportive of Xara on the rare occasions the company gets mentioned), and Jon Honeyball has to be one of the most entertaining writers in the field IMHO. And whatever happened to Mike Hardaker who used to write (this is 10+ years ago now) in Windows User?
    But my real treasured pile of paper, stacked up at home next to the complete back numbers of Mojo, is a set of Corel User magazine, now long-defunct. Back in the days when I relied professionally on CorelDraw and Ventura, that was a real treasure.
    Maybe I belong to the last generation that will treasure paper?

Jon H
    IP