Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

Voters
166. This poll is closed
  • Yes

93 56.02%
  • No

73 43.98%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

Anyone can post in this thread and vote in the poll, even if you're not registered. But registering is recommended.
    IP

Default Re: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

In the past (20 to 30 years ago) I read computer magazines avidly. On the odd occasion I buy one now they have no substance.

Compute! magazine was one of my favorites.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compute!
    Last edited by Soquili; 28 January 2009 at 05:50 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: Do you read print computer magazines - the 'real' ones on the shelves?

Bill - your link is broken - the shriek is outside [I've always wanted to say that ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks Steve the link is now correct.

In programming circles (here in the States at least) that is called a bang and the asterisk * is called a splat.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I am displaying my roots maybe in calling it a shriek
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

As the question is "Do you read print computer magazines" I answered No.
    But I once did (a lot)
    IP

Up to a few years back I would buy on average 3 to 4 different magazines a month. These days I never buy one. No one particular reason that I can think of, just got the feeling that they were going over all the same old ground time after time.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

For me, access to high speed internet was late. Dial-up (28k max where I was at the time) was hopeless for anything really useful. Also the PC mags were the only way I could get to try out shareware and freeware plus the occasional full version freebie.

After broadband was available. much of the information contained in the magazines was available on demand online. It was also fresher, news in PC magazine is often out out date by the time they hit the shelves.
    IP

I always thought a shriek was an exclamation mark..
    IP

yes indeed - a journalistic argot amongst others

and part of the magazine name "compute!" - without the shriek Bill's link just went to a general comput[ing] wiki page

but its also a marvel comics character, a batman villain - hence my other reference

moving swiftly back on topic - as far as I can remember I have bought only one such magazine in the last 24 months.... but read considerably more [part of the job]
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP