IP

u

[This message was edited by Hector on October 22, 2000 at 04:07 PM.]
    IP

xxx

[This message was edited by rosebytes on October 12, 2000 at 04:24 PM.]
    IP

I like it - The Gospel of Felix.

Finally a Painter forum that is getting artsy.

I think I know what you are meaning in your posts of late. Painter is an artistic tool yet it seldom is discussed as such. Technical dialogue fills all the Painter related forums I've been on and none of which have actually been places of aesthetic dialogue. Forums dedicated to the traditional art mediums ( painting,drawing etc.) are predominantly areas of creative and philosophical exchange. Corel Painter has the same potential. It is a serious art making tool and it should easily be surpassing Photoshop in the art creation arena. But it is not. It still seems to possess the reputation as being a 'quaint' entertainment software! It's not even in the curriculum of my local art college. Hopefully with the introduction of OsX the stigma of prepress compatibility will be ended, an area dominated by the Adobe hegemony. Under OsX any application's files can de formatted to PDF automatically.

Let's hope.

stecyk66
    IP

Hey there, Felix! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You've left us with a cliffhanger here. . . My stylus is poised and waiting patiently for the next installment. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I do know that writing such instructions takes care and time. Just wanted to let you know you have an audience waiting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].

Take care,

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hey there, stecyk66!

I'm with you, man. I definitely want to get this forum moving past just tech support questions and toward the many facets of art -- as well as the many facets of Painter.

Aesthetics? A great idea for a thread! Painter users don't just live off of computers alone. When I hear that word I really only think of the philosophical branch called aesthetics. I don't know if art schools treat aesthetics differently. (I double majored in Philosophy and Government) so if you have time, pick up a thread. If not, it will go on the ToDo list for later.

Thanks again for the input!

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PS thanks for the answer about the wacom intuos. the weight is a bit disappointing but you're right, having a tablet is the best
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Athena

So what's it like being named after a greek goddess?

I would suspect that an art school would define 'aesthetics' in pretty much the same way as academic philosophy. Mind you, when I was in art school, epistemological discussions on the absolute criterion of the 'artistic state' actually... never occurred! It was more about expanding the boundaries of the definition rather than reducing it to an essence.
    I attended art college in the mid 80s when computers were just beginning to emerge as artistic tools. I was exposed to the early Macs during this time, and have to admit I did not see the potential. This was my position till about a year ago when I got my first ever computer. I knew I had to get up to speed soon, so I researched for months and got a G4 super system, which is now already out of date [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] The software I built it around was Painter 6. I knew nothing about it other than the fact that it was difficult to learn. It blew me away. As an airbrush artist my major concern about going digital was maintaining a 'natural look' in my images. My expectations were surpassed big time.
    Of course the general creative process changed for me and I haven't quite reconciled with it but I know I'm on the right track.

stecyk66
    IP