Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Erase and Smudge

Hello:

I'm really new to Xara Xtreme 4 so forgive me if I'm just missing a feature. I've recently upgraded to Vista64 bit and am no longer able to use my photoshop7 which is why I finally got Xara. For the most part I find the program awesome! But I think I'm going through PS withdrawls!!

I really miss the ability to erase and smudge. I used the smudge feature a lot to blend and push color around, much the way a pastel artist would. I understand that there is an eraser on the free hand brush tool, using the Shift option but once the line is created, it can't be erased other than selecting and deleting the whole line. (am I missing something?)

Another thing I miss is the ability to crop my drawings on the fly.

Xara user suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
    Sylvia

Default Re: Erase and Smudge

Hello Sylvia,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Xara Xtreme is primarily a vector graphics application. The features you have requested are specific to a raster (bitmaped, photographic editor) graphics application.

Unlike Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or other raster editor there is no matrix if pixels that can be erased or smudged so those tools are not native to a vector editor.

Xara Xtreme has incorporated some raster effects and may eventually include some tools for editing raster images. Only Xara Group Ltd. can know what their future plans may be for the program. Although the parent company MAGIX does already offer programs for editing raster images.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update