Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mech

Always wanted to build one of these things and nver got around to it.This is a test render for putting into a scene I have made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mech-test_Win.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	11856  

Looks pretty good Stu! Sure looks like he has got lots of fire power!

Cheers Randy

Ya not usually exactly my gig,but I was intrigued by these things and their structure for being able to walk.Most fun was denting the beastie up.The fire power was just what I thought might be realistic.

An update with some more grime and a friend gave me the idea for decals,not a big decal fan but they seem to work ok here I think.

Name:	Mech-test-render2.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	16377  

Hey Stu.. nice mech...

This thing will look great within a scene... yikes

Hey, got a wireshot for this beastie?

Looks good!...but seems very dark in coloring here -- perhaps will have more lighting on it in the scene?? I like the roughed up texturing and all the details. I'm not really wild about the red decals though...just something about them on the upper leg areas especially...seems too much or something in that area. I like the subtle one on the lower leg above the foot though. Less is more sometimes. Seems like the robot could use some sort of lights on it -- perhaps for tracking or scanning objects...another way to add a bit of color and maybe an excuse for colored reflections or glow on the metal here and there for interest so it isn't just monochromatic and dark. Just a thought. Nice modeling!
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Excellent modeling Stu. I agree with Maya. I think maybe an ID number or something similar would be the maximum decal for a Mech.

The Mac/PC gamma differences has probably made the image darker than what you see. CRT monitors for PCs are darker than LCD or plasma monitors. I see your image very clearly with very good distressed metalic textures.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Gidge ..wire shot ya can do.. Its not one piece though eh.

Thanks Maya,ya the decal design is some jpgs a friend gave me,at about 1am so I kinda fired them on there and went to bed.As for lights inside the cicular mesh on the front is a lazer,forgot to put some glass tex on the inner poly loop in it.I wanted to get away from colored lights as well as its in a daytme scene/will be in a daytime scene.

Bill thanx Ya it needs an ID number,there is one on the side but I dont like it much,so will make another one,and some decent decals I think.

Excellent,I use a Mac and lcds and I generally render the image and then use the view menu in Photoshop,add an adjustment layer of levels and lift the middle slider to around 1.2 is usually ok,although it is a little dark to me today,I posted about 1:30 am think t was my time,so when you viewed it was it at night or during the day?,as I would like to get my levels adjustments a bit better.I have my monitor synced using Adobe Gamma and my NEC settings,but I was not aware CRT monitors for PC are darker then LCD,my LCD {NEC} came with a kind of yellowish tint so I changed to a cool blue white point to compensate.

Ah, okay, I see those areas at the top which would be glass lenses. It will look great in a daylight scene! I am using an LCD monitor -- but Windows XP might be the reason for the darker appearance on my screen...but the first robot posted at the top looks brighter to me than the second one with the decals...that image looks much darker to me. But fairly clear, though. Probably would be easier to see all the robot details if on a lighter colored background...but nevertheless it's looking great and am looking forward to seeing it do its stuff in the scene you create for it.
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

ya the top one is lighter,the second has more grime.

This is the look I wanted,glowing guns was just an experiment.

Name:	Mech-test-render3.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	7789  

Oh yeah! IMO the glowing guns really add a sense of something going to happen. Plus I just like the additional colors and the glow effect adds interest to it too. I like it! This was a good "experiment" in my view.
    ---Maya
    -Mark Twain