Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linkage of external media resources

Images, objects from other XAR files etc. should be "linkable" into the current document instead of just appending them. Benefits: A company logo can be edited centrally, all other documents that use it will change automatically. Smaller files: Images shared among several XAR files can be stored centrally in one single image file on disk.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Default Re: Linkage of external media resources

The .xar format is very efficient and with today's huge capacity hard drives at really low prices, sizes of your working (or archived) files is less of an issue (if at all).
    What would concern me most is that I prefer to keep backups of previous incarnations of a design, sometimes even in the same .xar file (either in a hidden layer or simply a second page), I'd not want them linked and embedded as a single object which updates all files and object instances when one is changed.

I agree with Steve. I prefer to not link to outside resources. Having variations of a logo or other artwork is often beneficial. Seeing the evolution from first concept to final version can provide great feedback.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Of course, this is meant as an option (toggle).

Concerning the huge hard drives: Yes, it's becoming really ridiculous (500 Gig for $90 or so) - that's why I'm completely ignoring the trend and still have my P3 500 MHz with one 80 GB hard drive as the file server with a 100 MBit LAN, and it's not nearly quarter full

All the funnier when I talk to 'normal people' who have bought a PC for home use, and they tell me that their new 500 GB hard drive is full again and if I can get them another one
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

I can see linking having benefits in respect of global updating as you say, but that said I don't usually work that way either - this would not have anything like as much priority for me as would the 'clone-instance' feature mentioned in the other thread
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have been working for a while with a mixed graphic types - both vector and raster images (I mean in drawing). But Xara can "hold" limited file size without crashing (as I learn from my experience, you should keep the Xara's file under 70-100 Mb or it crashes so often). What why having option to link rasters is a great solution also.

AI is doing well with it (linked images).
    Corel is to slow too and buggy.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

I agree with Alex is has done Illy no harm either to embed or link, as you have the choice there. One of the first things that I learnt when I first started in a small print & design shop was to always embed if I imported any drawing in to AI. First real large job in which I sent my files off came back with "couldn't do the job the file was linked". I got a right telling off for that to put it politely.
    Design is thinking made visual.

That's why you always have an option "Embed all externally linked media files now" in a good application
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks