Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group editmode

Default Group editmode

Currently, editing groups is rather painful: Either ungroup the group, do your modifications, and then tediously re-select all the objects (well, you could have assigned a name to them, true), and then re-group. Ctrl-click-selecting is also pretty painful in complex groups.

Proposal: "Group editmode". Select a group, enter "group editmode", the rest of the document greys out and you can only select / edit objects inside the group.

See also: Flash "Movie Clips"
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Default Re: Group editmode

Isn't the same thing doable via layers? (keep named groups on their own layer)

I would recommend using layers and less complex groups.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Isn't the same thing doable via layers? (keep named groups on their own layer)
    Well, yes, but that's merely a workaround. And as we're talking about feature requests anyway... The layer-solution involves the usual "where-the-heck-is-the-layer-this-stuff-is-on???" dance, compared to a simple double-click on the group (as in flash's movie clips).
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

if you select the group in question the staus bar will tell you which layer it is on.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    Well, yes, but that's merely a workaround. And as we're talking about feature requests anyway...
    I rather think it isn't a work-around. It's a way to succeed at what you are trying to do. One of the reasons layers exist

"where-the-heck-is-the-layer-this-stuff-is-on???"
    Naming the layer appropriately works well for me.

on the subject of naming layers - if you tag them numeric [ eg 001-base; 002-background; 003...] they can be quicker to identify in the gallery - awkward if you reorder them on the fly, but good forward planning minimises this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ok lets propose the following....

You have several complex groups, on each one of them you have apllyed additional transperency, then you group all this groups, and apply new transperecy to whole group, and also and shadow...

Now you have to select one of the first groups used, and change its transperency type for example....

If you go back to all steps of creation of finall group after correction you shell recreate almost everything including transperency and shadows and etc. etc...

So, wanted by instinctive.de editing in group mode is very very usefull option.... it is no accident that Corel DRAWs clipviews and Illustrator groups work exactly in this way
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

I agree that this would be handy. Or perhaps once a group is selected, Shift-Tab cycles you through the objects within that group. That way you don't have to ungroup them to edit the one object that needs to be changed.
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheff Ctrl+Select allows you to pick an object within a group and edit it without having to un group all.