Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Linked clones

Default Linked clones

For me, the most problematic omission in Xara Xtreme: A way to copy ("clone") objects and be able to edit any instance of it, while all other instances change along. (See also: "Movie clip" in Flash)
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Default Re: Linked clones

I won't say there couldn't be a case where that might come in handy, but overall that would really be a nuisance to me.
    I never come across a moment yet where I'd want that to happen, interesting idea though - would work best as a toggle option.

This type of feature has been requested alot and is probably somewhere on Xara Ltd's internal wishlist.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

sledger: A few examples:

- Creating a CD traycard. You have at least two things that are, in almost all cases, absolutely identical: The 'Artist - Title' thing that goes on both of the thin 'side' areas of the card. Edit one - the other changes accordingly.
    - Designing a brochure that contains the company logo in various places on various pages. Customer calls in: "Argh, can't we make that 'JOE' a bit smaller and the circle a bit more to the left??" - now, change ALL 20 occurences of the logo, or just one - your choice (I have that ALL the time!)
    - In general, design elements that you're not yet sure about in the beginning of a project, but you already know where you want to place them. So, you can simply start off with your project, and at any later point refine that design element and not have to re-delete-copy-paste it all over.

In general, in a lot of projects, you'll often have "stuff" that is the same in many spots, and that you might want to change afterwards. I wonder how you haven't ever felt the need for this feature
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

(Another example: A button for webpage graphics...)
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

As an alternative to the current ctrl+d and ctrl+k functions - yes this would be great
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...