Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bug BUG: Drag from clipart gallery causes clip to change

Hi,

I just found a use for the clipart: I save my "components" for later use in a folder which I add to the clipart gallery. For instance - as you can see in the image with this thread - a "speak bubble" for putting comments on a drawing.

But nothing is perfect I guess The text is distorted. The position of the textbox is not the same as when I saved the "component".

I open the clipart gallery and simply drag the "component" into the drawing... Am I doing anything wrong? Or did I miss something?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clipartTrouble.png 
Views:	474 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	55619
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 January 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Remved hotlink - attached image to post.
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Default Re: Drag from clipart gallery causes clip to change

Never had this happen myself but does this also happen if you click the import button on the gallery rather than dragging.

Christine

Well I must admit that I had not tried that
    A click on "Import" has the same effect, but if I click "Open" things are perfect :-) I can live with that - but working as a frontend developer on the internet I tend to put much focus on GUI

I have attacted the "component" (in danish it says: "Here is a comment").
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Sten

Hi Sten,
    Tried both ways don't have the same problems as you are having works every time? Used you second example and text does not look distorted. Don't know what to suggest bar a re-install and that sounds needless.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Albacore; 24 January 2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach file
    Design is thinking made visual.

As dragging or importing effectively merges the file with the currently open document, it's possible that document's default page settings are different to the clipart .xar you are dragging/importing in, which might cause object misplacements.

I always double-click the clipart thumbnail to open it. Never had any problems.
    If I want just one object from a saved clipart file, then I simply double-click to open the clipart file, select the object and copy it to the clipboard. Close the opened clipart file and paste it into my open document.

The only other suggestion I would make is that you group the items before saving, that should stop the problem.

Christine

Actually I did group the elements - the text is still placed wrong.

Anyway, it is not a major issue - as the other workarounds are okay for me!
    Cheers,

Sten

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have had this problem as well, I have the same thing with both XXP V3.2 and V4. see screenshot below I also seem to recall that there was a previous thread about this some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. Grouping your drawing makes no difference.

Yet I can drag and drop Xara's clip art with no problem. Another thing I noticed is that when I create a folder to add to the clip art gallery, even if I put that folder into the same folder where Xara clipart is stored, the whole file pathname shows in the gallery ie: C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Your clipart file I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

My workaround is the same as Steve's if you use keyboard shortcuts it is a fairly quick method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drag n drop screen.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	55707  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sten I can't see any reason this happens, document settings don't appear to make any difference as I first wondered.
    I consider this to be possible a bug so will move this thread into the Dear Xara.. forum.

Frances,

If you open the xarainfo/xaraclip.txt file in a text editor, you can edit the #DESCRIPTION: to anything you want. It just defaults to the location.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.