Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default how many of you X users are pro designers/ working at an agency etc ?

just wondering...
    how many of you were able to convince the company you work they should try X eventhough it's no industry standard?

also, those working with X in the pro field...
    which are the main issues you've encountered, compatibillity wise?
    and which workarounds did you come up with?

Default Re: how many of you X users are pro designers/ working at an agency etc ?

Here is one...

I tried and I was close, but no luck this time. But I keep pushing

The door opener for us was the new web export feature. They had seen some cool web demos I had made and got excited. Unluckily the person testing X was of wrong type and did not like it. Too few options and features for web (demos)

I keep using it myself in projects that do not require other people than me touching the layouts. Sometimes I've had to share my creations with someone else and then I've used PNG's or PSD's.
    The PSD output is decent but the problem with it is that I need to open them up in Photoshop and convert/edit the texts, so that the other person doesn't have to deal with the text mess.

For illustration purposes Xara is fantastic, but since everyone else is using Adobe apps and like them and are proud to use them, they will not convert easily.

Hope this helps...

Default Re: how many of you X users are pro designers/ working at an agency etc ?

I worked for 15 years as an advertising print and TV art director. I also had my own graphic design company in SOMA San Francisco for 12 years. But that was some time ago. Currently I have several free lance clients. None have ever asked what software I use.

I worked at a sign writing business for a couple years. When I discovered Xtreme I was blown away and immediately used it to design everything I was involved in at that business. Files were converted to suit the vinyl plotter software/machines and everyone was happy.
    The owner was also blown away with Xtreme and asked me to teach the other staff how to use it. I installed the trial version on all of their machines and set about showing them the basics. They were familair with SignLab and knew the basics.

Then they bought the Mimaki digital printer and had to buy CorelDraw with Flexicut which interfaces with Rasterlink. Xtreme was unable to interface with Flexicut or Rasterlink, so it was dropped like a hot potato. End of story.

I don't know if Xara/Magix are interested in breaking into the commercial sign shop world, however I do know that currently it is not really suited to the requirements of the modern sign shop.

Personally I use Xtreme for everything possible.
    My customers don't ask (care) either about the software I use. The result is what they are paying for

Quote Originally Posted by bomb jack View Post
    ...how many of you were able to convince the company you work they should try X eventhough it's no industry standard?...
    This is an excellent post I have to say. I managed to convince the odd person in more senior positions than me to use Xara as their primary graphics software. Most people I've worked with are just not bothered enough what software they use and are glued to AI by the buzz phrase "just photoshop it" and other mass marketing thereby buying into their product line. Others are old, mindless Linux drones due to their automatic anti-MS reflex. I suspect the people I've met know a little bit about how to use whatever they use and don't like using something new because of the effort required to learn the basics again somewhat redundantly. I suppose it's like religions or political views in some way; once bought into one, you're not likely to change your mind. Perhaps Xara would have more success if they indoctrinated children and threatened people with invisible infinite agony if they dare whore with other software applications. [emoticon winky-face]. Xara has the same problem now they've always had--an inability to market to the levels Adobe etc. can.

I've worked with general graphics design (print and web sites) since about 1999 and developed my own custom DTP app from 2004 to 2008. When I tried Xara in the beginning of 2008, I pretty much halted development of the custom software and switched to Xara for almost all stuff (That means something! )

What I do find problematic in Xara (you asked only for compatibility stuff, but well, I'll list all issues I have anyway ) is the lack of true "linked" clones (definitely the biggest problem in my opinion), linking objects / colors / fills etc. dynamically from other (library) files (so that you can change an object / fill / logo etc. in a central library file and it will change in all the others too), *linked* images instead of *imported* ones (so that .XAR files don't grow huge and multiple XAR files can use the same image on disk).
    Compatibility-wise, I can't really complain, the import/export features are far superior to those found in my previous custom software.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

When I first retired from being a principle teacher and after having some success with graphics thought I could do it freelance lasted 2 years then got employment in a small design shop and worked again for about two years. After that got employment in national newspaper in their weekend magazine not a glamorous as that did the adverts at the back as well as a few main illustration now work for the NHS doing all sorts of graphics but mainly doing drawings of parts of the body not glamorous at all.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Peter do you use Xara Xtreme at the NHS and did you during those previous positions you mentioned?

thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Markku View Post
    ...The PSD output is decent but the problem with it is that I need to open them up in Photoshop and convert/edit the texts, so that the other person doesn't have to deal with the text mess...
    could you elaborate on this?
    when opening a X psd export in ps... choosing "update" text appears as it should right?

btw is there a chart or something which tells what and/or what not to expect when exporting to psd or ai from X.
    Last edited by bomb jack; 24 January 2009 at 03:46 PM.