Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: how many of you X users are pro designers/ working at an agency etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Markku View Post
    ...The PSD output is decent but the problem with it is that I need to open them up in Photoshop and convert/edit the texts, so that the other person doesn't have to deal with the text mess...
    could you elaborate on this?
    when opening a X psd export in ps... choosing "update" text appears as it should right?

btw is there a chart or something which tells what and/or what not to expect when exporting to psd or ai from X.
    Last edited by bomb jack; 24 January 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Default Re: how many of you X users are pro designers/ working at an agency etc ?

I use xara pro for most web work (together with photoshop) because it has far better antialias quality/control and quicker transparency tools then adobe illustrator. I also use it for 80% of the print work (the other 20% I use illustrator/indesign), PDF export is ok.

Client's don't care which program you use, it's the output that counts.
    Last edited by RickX; 24 January 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    http://www.rarian.com the design & development company.

I use Xara Xtreme Grafik designer 2 only since a few days and only from fun, I work not as a commercial artist. I work as Admin at a financial service provider, make there the house newspaper 2x per year and so far with Corel Draw 11 that I know since the version 4.
    Me it pleases to work with Graffics all Art, or to arrange, fun makes logos for me somewhat new to create. That is everything. I am occupied still with other Grafficprograms, well know I CorelDraw, PhotoImpact otherwise use I Inkscape, GIMP, Blender etc.
    At present however most of all Xara Xtreme, I has itself also the pro version 3.2 bought, since you only cost 29 €, the 2er version Grafik designer is the Light version of the Pro-version 4! For these I only 49 € paid that are nevertheless good reasons of Xara to use and/or try out.

Greetings
    CMONE
    MAGIX Foto & Grafik Designer 2, 5, 6, 7 - Web Designer 5, Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 with Xara 3D 6, 3D-Maker7
    MyTGAlbum

Quote Originally Posted by RickX View Post
    ...Client's don't care which program you use, it's the output that counts.
    i know, but...
    when (you're the only one) working with X, at an agency etc, colleagues (working on the same project(s)) tend to nag about not being able to open X files, so export features become very important.

i do all my designs in X weither web or print stuff, simply because it enhanced my workflow too much to go back to ai, depending on what type of files are needed for further development etc i export the X stuff accordingly.
    for me personally this works but when pushing a deadline and people need a psd or ai out of nothing it can be a real stressor.

Quote Originally Posted by bomb jack View Post
    i know, but...
    when (you're the only one) working with X, at an agency etc, colleagues (working on the same project(s)) tend to nag about not being able to open X files, so export features become very important..
    true, working in Xara and Illustrator/PS on the same design (files) is not an option. People in the industry want Illustrator/PSD files, even if there is a problem in a exported PDF file, the finger is sometimes easily pointed to the 'PDF producer' in the description tab of the file properties in acrobat: Xara Xtreme pro??
    Last edited by RickX; 25 January 2009 at 09:03 AM.
    http://www.rarian.com the design & development company.

In most cases you can export a PDF/X file which Illustrator can open.

If I were working with both programs, I would create my graphics in Xtreme and do the layout in Illustrator. Bring your Xtreme graphics over as PDF. Some features may not translate due to Illustrator's limitations. You will need to do some experimenting. If a bevel or soft shadow does not come in OK then try converting it to editable shapes (Arrange menu) before you export.

+1
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Hi Miro,

I know most of us old timers here at TG know you use Xara Xtreme as a professional graphic designer.

Would you post some of your experience with Xtreme and using files in collaboration with designers that use other applications?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by bomb jack View Post
    could you elaborate on this?
    when opening a X psd export in ps... choosing "update" text appears as it should right?
    Line spacing is huge, you could fit a matchbox between the lines. Also, I mainly create web stuff, so in PS I need to change the anti-aliasing to 'None'.

You need to be careful too to keep all your texts in a "text layer" in Xara. Otherwise they and up being pixels in PS.

I'm using CS2.

Ps. Bomb jack, you are right about compatibility with other designers. If one guy keeps sending out files that others can't open, then he will soon find less and less projects coming to him. Gotta be careful with that...
    Last edited by Markku; 24 January 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quote from Xhris "Perhaps Xara would have more success if they indoctrinated children". That is what I am doing at our school. The children love working on it. I have just used Xhris's tut on flash animations with my gr 7 pupils (12 yrs). Their respose was, "That was a fun lesson" Once they master the basic concepts they are hooked. I have moved away from MS Word for making docs and am encouraging the pupils to use Xara. I have also started classes for staff. Getting them to make posters for their lessons. I will also teach them to cut out photos for printing etc. I know they are keen on this as well.

Maybe Xara should market their products in schools more actively.

Heinz Venter