Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Archiving graphics

Dennis are the bands in the same area of each tiff?

As Steve said there is missing data in the first file you sent. All data between hex address d8ff0 and f4000 has been nulled out, basically it was erased.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The bands are not necessarily the same in each photo that has them. Some are wider, some narrower. They tend to be toward the top, but a couple are closer to the middle. One complicating factor is that the photos were scanned from album pages, so they were sometimes scanned upside down or at a 90 degree angle, then rotated. A couple of the photos have the bands at the bottom, but I can't be sure whether they were inverted when they were scanned without going into the album. I have seven out of about 750 photos that have the bands. Thanks for your interest.

Thanks Dennis. I was curious about where the bands were and if it was consistant. But appearantly it was more random.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Dennis,

Your problem is indeed very strange. The scanner is ruled out since you have uncorrupted versions of the files that have black bands in them. This means that at some stage the file contents for these banded images has been changed.

If this was a generic problem with your computer you would also be complaining about computer crashes and the like, so it can't be that.

This leaves the software being used to view and edit files, a virus or a virus checker as culprits.

I haven't heard of tiff problems with the software that you are using and we know that the files are corrupt, not merely being displayed incorrectly, so it's nothing to do with any viewer software. I couldn't find reports of a tiff-borne virus, so it's unlikely that an anti-virus program has interfered with the files.

So, on the face of it it's a complete mystery. I did wonder if a USB based flash or hard drive might be responsible - sometimes people just unplug them before data has finished being written to them, but I'd expect far worse corruption than the black bands.

I'd be inclined to recover the damage files from DVD and keep a note about what software you use when editing them and see if it happens again. Keep a copy of your corrupted files somewhere so that you can see if the corruption problem is only related to specific files.

A real mystery. At first I thought you was a Troll, out to cause mischief, but that's not the case.

Maybe Sledger Holmes will crack the case..

One question that I did not see until a minute ago is regarding whether the corrupt files are originals or copies. They are originals in the folder where they were originally saved after they were scanned. I have copied them, and the copies show the same characteristics as the originals.
    I still have several hundred photos to scan. I will scan them and pay more careful attention about how I handle each one. Thanks to everyone for your interest and help.

I was getting corrupt JPG files (at random intervals in random folders) on the last legs of my hard drive on my old Windows XP system. For me it was an hardware problem -- the drive was slowly failing (or rather: failing faster and faster). However, it wasn't THIS consistent (one specific folder and all files) and I was also getting intermittent system and application crashes, that were getting worse and worse (as mentioned by Paul).

If you have one set of files that are good (back-up CD/DVD) -- and the other (on your drive) is getting messed up... A virus corrupting the data? Looked for a virus targetting TIFFs and image files, but couldn't find one.

I tried to search for tiff+black+line+corrupt (and different versions there of) but didn't find anything more than the black line/band seens to be a common symptom of a corrupt TIFF file. In the the few pages I found, black lines at the top of the image was mentioned (find that a bit odd -- why only in the top-half of the image? )

In any case -- If someone wishes to Google further -- perhaps looking for black LINES/SECTIONS/ETC (not only "bands") might reveal something more.

Just tossing in a few thoughts.

Risto

i better hurry up and start getting out my brushes and pens in photoshop/illustrator. Alot of restoring to be done - my files are losing quality!!!

lol
    Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within