Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default email error and upload file

With Steve's help, the page is up on the site but I now have another email problem.

The email link in which I used "mailto:" is up as well but when I try to use it, this is what I get on THIS computer -

The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
    Subject 'Question', Account: 'pop3', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I am using Gmail for my email and have received this before, but VERY seldom, when I click on an email link on a web site.

On ANOTHER computer that I also use Gmail, when I click "send" up pops - VERY fast - something about "outlook". It goes by so fast I can not read it but the email is not sent.

Is this something I solve with the web setup or is it something that is solved on EACH persons computer and, if so, is there some way I can put directions for them to do so?

Second, someone - I apologize I don't remember who it was or where it was posted - suggested to upload a file of the pages to the web site as the best way to go.

I assume I put a link on the home page to the file name just as with any other link.

1- Do I then change each page in X4 to a .jpg and export as a .jpg or just exprot as .jpg and use this as the file?

2- How do I get this file to the server using Filezilla?

Tks all - have a great day and stay warm - bad wx over most of the country right now. - jb
    Last edited by jeb; 15 January 2009 at 05:09 PM.
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: email error and upload file

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
    Subject 'Question', Account: 'pop3', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

This is an error on your computer.
    Whether you choose to use web based gmail or not for your email, your PC likely has Outlook set as the default local email client. Regular gmail is 'web based' not POP3 (though they do offer a POP service, but it would complicate this post to go into that).
    When clicking a mailto: link on any website it is similar clicking a program shortcut on your PC. In other words, the mailto: link will try to start the default 'associated' program on your PC.
    If Outlook is set as the default (which is likely if you installed Microsoft Office), then Outlook will try to start to handle the mailto: request. If the POP (Post Office Protocol) server details haven't been configured, or are wrong, then you will see that error.

Tks Steve - how do I make it work with Gmail?

I have Vista on both computers - the message I posted comes up on one and the "outlook" message pops up and goes away quickly on the other.

I tried to find out on a Gmail forum but so far can't find where to go to do so. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Tks, Steve - works good and last a long time. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com