Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara, FileZilla or me as problem? :)

Below is the file I am trying to upload in Filezilla.

I saved it as a .xar file - "index" - and exported to web as both "index" and "index.htm". When I go to FileZilla, with either of the latter I get an "index.htm_files" folder which has 6 files in it and an index.htm Firefox doc file.

I have selected the 6 files and dropped on the "public_html" folder and get "file transfer successful" However, when I go to open the site, all I get is a blank page. This happens if I do the same with the "index.htm" file as well.

Obviously I am missing a step somewhere. - jb
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Xara, FileZilla or me as problem? :)

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    I have selected the 6 files and dropped on the "public_html" folder and get "file transfer successful" However, when I go to open the site, all I get is a blank page.
    Can you give me the URL to your site?
    Meanwhile, open the public_html folder and check that your files are actually present.
    If not, drag and drop them to the opened public_html folder window.

index.htm should be the only *file* that shows, all other files should be in the folder "index.htm_files"

(PS: index.htm is not specifically a Firefox doc, your PC simple associates the .htm file extension with Firefox as the application which will open it.)

Hello Steve,

The URL is www.floridacommunitynews.com.

I had Startlogic check things and they could not find anything wrong so I had them delete everything off the server that was not suppose to be there and started fresh.

From X4 I saved the page as a .xar file and also exported as a web page - both named "index".

When I go to Filezilla I have a folder named "index.htm_files.

When I click on this it has 3 files - 0.png, default.css and png.js.

When I drag/drop these into the public_html folder in Filezilla it uploads the files but when I go to the web site it states, "Directory has no index" file found.

If I back up one folder on my computer to the root I have an index.htm file. When I upload this to Filezilla/public_html - which already has the other 3 files - the page is blank when I try to bring it up.

I then re-built the page in WWB and when I preview in browser it looks perfect but when I "publish" I am back to the "Directory has no index".

Usually my problems stem from some dumb thing I have done but neither I nor Startlogic can solve this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would much rather use X4 to build a web site than have to save and carry everything to WWB, since it will not allow one to cut-copy/paste into it as one can do with most other programs.

If only Xara would put a publish ability into their program.

Tks and have a great day - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Hmm - odd.
    It reads as though you are doing everything right, but as you say - the message when accessing your URL suggests that there is no default page file.
    My inclination is to offer further help privately, if acceptable to you? For this I would need to access your host space directly via FTP. If you are OK with this, please contact me using sledger [ at ] gmail.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nofile.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	55258  

Tks Steve - email on the way - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Thanks Jim,
    Yes I can see where you've gone wrong now.

You need to place the file inside the /public_html/ folder
    You have them outside if it.
    Currently you only have an /images/ sub-folder and no xtreme generated index.htm_files sub-folder there. Just follow my lead and you should be fine now

Now something better shows
    http://www.floridacommunitynews.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeb.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	55262  

Jeb you have text over text because 0.png has the text as an image and your index.htm has text as 'text'
    You will need to export this image without grouped text.
    http://www.floridacommunitynews.com/...tm_files/0.png

Tks for all the help, Steve - I appreciate your time and knowledge. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

It's a pleasure when you are able to help steer people in the right direction and then see them have fun with their own success.