Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara: suggestion???_"[Esc] Key"

I have a new suggestion (no doubt no one else will like it) but here goes:

I think it would be nice if esc also deselected tools...
    Presently when you select a tool and then press esc nothing happens....
    Which is ok but currently there is no way to have no tool selected!
    IE as the select tool is active by default ETC....
    This is not a big deal but there would be an advantage that many of you may not have considered to having this be the case:

Xara has an active content bar...(this is my terminology) that thing that changes and serves up tools and setting to suit the situation....
    (Which is great by the way)
    Allowing [Esc] to deselect tools would mean that when you pressed [Esc] (When no object was selected but when a tool was active) it would deselect the currently active tool and actually leave you with no tool selected....

In this case the active content bar could then serve up options related not to any specific tool but rather the workspace itself....

IE 1)weather or not to display that print page box....
    2) print orientation
    3) grid off and rulers off and on...
    ETC ETC

P.S I know there is already ways to access these things...
    But the active content bar could be updated in this way to be of more use...
    And considering that [Esc] currently does nothing when you simply select a tool it would not impact on current methods.
    But it would provide one button access to common and useful setting applicable to the workspace generally via the "active content bar" with this small change.
    Last edited by David Hewitt; 12 January 2009 at 03:44 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Xara: suggestion???_"[Esc] Key"

This seems somewhat nonsensical to me given that you can already have the buttons you're talking about in a toolbar (as you yourself already mentioned).

Also you're incorrect when you say "And considering that [Esc] currently does nothing when you simply select a tool it would not impact on current methods.". When you select a different tool, whatever object you were working on remains selected, and pressing Esc allows you to unselect it.

In any case, is there something wrong with making your own custom toolbar that has the buttons that you're interested in (or just adding them to an existing toolbar)? I'm not really seeing how having no active tool at all (including the select tool) is at all beneficial, except for the purposes of hiding a few icons, which doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

maybe you misunderstood how i proposed it would actually work...
    pressing [ESC] currently deselects all objects....
    So if you did have a selection pressing [esc] would deselect your objects and only then (once you had deselected all objects) would you have a tool selected with no active selection (the criteria for this new functionality as i said in my post)......

it appears you are against a proposal you don't even understand.
    Thats ok though...i dont get much feedback representing any attempt to understand what i have posted mainly just opposition weather or not the message has actually been digested or not.

Also i did not post the message to complain that this was not the case...
    Im just letting the world know and hopefully the xara team of this idea...
    and its a good one regardless of weather or not you like or understand it...
    as it brings some of them most common tools to the fingertips as is the actual ethos of the active content bar
    Last edited by David Hewitt; 12 January 2009 at 04:30 AM.
    IP

David Hewitt,

I'm sure you mean well, but your flooding is quite dizzying to me. Your posts look more like "whining" than "trying"... I'm sure many TG members want to help, but quite a few (I sure am) are just "worn out"... Your posts look like trolldome on a whole new (pointless) level. Show us why people should bother?

Xara Xtreme is an illustration tool to many... WHY NOT SHOW US WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DRAW? Perhaps you are making it too difficult for yourself based on previous experiences and tools…

Show the members of TG what you are trying to draw (and where you fail (or where Xara fails you)). Perhaps Xara Xtreme is not the tool for you at all... I use AI and DRAW also -- I read their forums. The difference is that people here at Talkgraphics are willing to help you the whole way (if you show that you are trying) - why not give it a go?

Many members (I'm one of them) don't have English as their native language... which makes your rants difficult to read and follow. How about showing a real life example of a project you have issues with?

I might not personally be able to help you (I just draw simple shapes (can be done in any vector app or with any pen/crayon on paper)) -- but other members will be able to pitch in, I’m sure.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 12 January 2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Some spelling
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by David Hewitt View Post
    and its a good one regardless of weather or not you like or understand it...
    Sorry, I didn't realize your opinion of things was the only one that mattered.

I'll refrain from reading any of your posts or attempting to help you in the future. That should solve both of our problems.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    I'll refrain from reading any of your posts or attempting to help you in the future.
    Odat was posting while I was writing... Summed up nicely I think.

My point exactly... Show us why people should bother...

As for the most generous members comment in my post... Talkgraphics also has the most patient and forgiving moderators. Anyway... As per Odat, I'm done here.

Risto
    IP

since your not reading this i dont know why i bother...
    suffice to say that if you tell me im wrong then use reasoning that does not stand up to support your claim.... im probably going to snap back a short response forgive me but positive feedback or encouragement of any form has so far been fleeting....
    But don't worry if im not welcome here i wont stay long.

"Always with you it can not be done" you guys should listen to yoda...get your chi flowing...

Creative Minds live here?
    that's the motto isn't it?

I don't want your help (to be nice about it) this part of the forum is stated as being for sharing creative ideas....
    Last edited by David Hewitt; 12 January 2009 at 06:51 AM.
    IP

"Feed the troll do not - a path to the dark side, rising to the bait will be"

Often some very good ideas and suggestions are dismissed or simply missed because the OP was unable to present them in the most effective, creative way.
    Simple, objective, clearly listed points in a friendly non-aggressive language with real-world examples would be received much better.

Thread closed.
    IP