Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default some hope for Linux tablet users

A member at my LGU forum, posted a program which is supposed to help recognize graphics tablets on Linux. I though I would post it here for fellow XaraLX users to try, if they like.
    The program is called GNU Gogh, and as far as I can see (using with a mouse) it seems a nice, clean and straight forward set up. The interface is really nice and simple. The program is basically a bitmap editor but is said to recognize pressure sensativitey. I plan to try it out with my Genius MousePen and will post the results when I do.
    If it works, or I can work with the developers, this might be a nice leap for artists on the Linux platform. I still use my tab here and there on Linux, but not to the same degree as I did using XP, because it basically only functions as a mouse, but with more articulate control for curves... and then I need to go into the graphics program's menus to edit the lines I drew. But, I am hoping that Gogh will finally bring an end to that process.
    http://www.goghproject.com/
    IP

Default Re: some hope for Linux tablet users

Very interesting project indeed !

However yesterday I installed my first 0.46 Devel version of Inkscape on Ubuntu and I was extremely surprized to see that pressure sensitivity of my simple Wacom Graphire 3 stylus was reckognised by the calligraphy tool without installing any other wacom driver than the one included by default in Kubuntu 8.10 ! There was a long time I didn't play with the win 32 devel snapshots because I lack of time at the moment (I did a lot of work on filters), but the latest win snapshot I downloaded yesterday too didn't reckognise my tablet and I was even unable to draw or to do anything with it.

Inkscape and Linux developpers community are extremely volunteer and fast.

kindly

ivan
    IP

confirm that on the win 32 dev snapshot Ivan - been that way since before Christmas as I recall
    [my tablet is a graphire]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    confirm that on the win 32 dev snapshot Ivan - been that way since before Christmas as I recall
    [my tablet is a graphire]
    However in win 32 you can draw with your mouse ! And I didn't know it before another user said it some days ago on the french Linuxgraphics.org forum...

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

ha yes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Talking Re: some hope for Linux tablet users

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ha yes :d
    :d
    Last edited by ivan louette; 12 January 2009 at 12:32 PM.
    IP

My Graphire 3 pressure sensitivity works also in Gimp without installing any driver.

Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE 4.1.4 at the moment)

ivan
    IP

The drivers for the more popular brands of tablets have been worked out on Linux... but the lesser known brands do not.
    When I hook up my Genius Mousepen... It is no more than a fancy mouse, and when I use it... I have to go back and alter each stroke manually, which becomes a very arduous and task. That is why I think this project has so much potential... hopefully to be able to detect any pressure sensitive device and utilize it's features.
    I still have yet to try out my tablet on this app.. maybe I will get some time later tonight.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    The drivers for the more popular brands of tablets have been worked out on Linux... but the lesser known brands do not.
    You are right I think. With my old Graphire 3 I must only activate some settings inside Linux drawing apps to make it work.

The biggest problem is when Hardware drivers and specifications aren't opensource. That's the same about graphic cards, printers etc.

kindly,
    ivan
    Last edited by ivan louette; 18 January 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    IP