Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Folks,
    Many apologies if this is a real stupid question, but when I try and open the tutorial movies via the help menu I get the error message:
    'Unable to find a suitable codec to decompress the audio stream'
    The movie will play but without sound.
    I can open the files via explorer with media player and they play ok, but they will not play correctly with the camtasia player which the help system defaults to using.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    3Ddoofus

Hi Folks,
    Many apologies if this is a real stupid question, but when I try and open the tutorial movies via the help menu I get the error message:
    'Unable to find a suitable codec to decompress the audio stream'
    The movie will play but without sound.
    I can open the files via explorer with media player and they play ok, but they will not play correctly with the camtasia player which the help system defaults to using.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    3Ddoofus

Hi 3Ddoofus,

Check this thread http://talkgraphics.com/groupee/foru...7807#742107807, Ross posted a link to a site with codecs.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the reply Soquili.
    Unfortunately I don't really want to have to pay for a bunch of codecs just to make the camtasia player work.
    It seems a little odd that the player that is bundled with Xara X1 is unable to play the movie files that were designed to run on it!
    Doesn't stop my enjoyment in using X1, it's a belting program.
    Thanks again,
    3Ddoofus

3Ddoofus;

I had the same problem when I first tried to run the movies. My first successful effort to run them was achieved by finding a free (and legal) version of the missing codec on the internet, after one of my movie viewers (I think IrfanView) told me the codec's name.

But an easier solution to the problem was provided by Charles Moir, which was to update to the latest version of Windows Media Player, which installs the needed codec.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried that to no avail.
    I've a feeling it's the machine that might be the problem as the popular theory is that the codec should be available.
    Any other ideas welcome : )
    3Ddoofus

I found a camtasia subdirectory under my xara x1 directory, and could use the camtasia player in there ok.

The tutorial movies use MP3 audio. Using Windows XP, you can see this by doing a right-click and select properties, then the Summary tab: the "Audio format" reads "MPEG Layer-3".

So... I suspect that you can't hear any MP3 files when played in Windows Media Player?

I think the general rule of thumb is that Windows Media Player 7 onwards shipped with an MP3 codec... You can see what codecs you have installed by going to the Device Manager, opening "Sound, video and game controllers", right click "Audio Codecs", select Properties, then click the Properties tab. I have "Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec" listed with about 10 others.

Does this help you at all?
    YourMum