Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Create a caricature or likeness of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Another cool drawing Zeb

I used the word 'Caricature' to mean just the type of thing you posted first.
    The word is open to interpretation I agree:
    caricature - A picture where the subject is depicted in a satirizing way that exaggerates its distinctive characteristics in a comical or grotesque way. Often used as a commentary on political or social matters.
    Zeb,
    Sorry but you may have missed the point. Create a caricature or likeness of yourself.
    You have done both very well but in my opinion both are cartoons, at least in a the way I think of cartoons.
    I call caricatures what you are calling a cartoon.
    sledgers definition of a caricature is spot on.
    Your "cartoon" and sledgers likeness drawings are two different styles and I think both are great. You did with your “cartoon” what I wish I could have done, but I have never been able to cartoon and I admire those who can.
    I hope to see more of your work.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry have you seen Zeb's website www.zebtoonz.com ?

While there be sure to visit his daughter Kika's site
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes, Fantastic work.
    Way to go Zeb!
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I hope I didn't come off sounding rude to Zeb, or anyone else for that matter. I certainly didn't mean too.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Cartoon is also open to (modern?) interpretation Larry.
    I'd consider Zebs second post to be a 'likeness' of himself (although I've never seen a photo of his face I can't imagine he looks like the first drawing of his - but you never know )

I guess while we've all been brought up associating 'cartoon' with Bugs Bunny or a comic strip in a newspaper, the actual word was used to describe a preparation drawing for a piece of art. The word comes from the Italian 'cartone'

Cartone (in English usage, "cartoon")- The artist's final drawing on paper or cloth of the main lines of the composition; it is sometimes, but not always, equal in size to the wall area to be painted. (Several cartoons might be used to create one large image.) The cartoon was laid against the wall over the final, freshly laid plaster on which the artist would paint. Its outlines were incised on the plaster by pressure from a stylus to guide the artist in painting. This procedure was common in the sixteenth century.
    Source: www.mystudios.com/gallery/giotto/terms.html

At the end of the day, regardless of what you call it, Zeb's work is for me as inspiring and Bob Hahn's, Paul Söderholm (gnurf) and Mark Lockett (MarkMyWords) (...oh and so many other talented cartoonist's at TG !!)
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 January 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Larry, no offense taken! Thanks for your, and Sledger's, compliments! And thanks for the plug, Bill

Oh yeah, as for what I really look like, that's me on the avatar and here http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=Rns3Is...e=channel_page.

Ah - if I had AVATARS enabled I would have seen the photo Zeb

You really need to post more work at TG Zeb - pleeeease

Well done, I like and admire your work. Mine pails in comparsion. Thanks for showing. GT

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBtoonz View Post
    Thanks Sledger and Larry! As a cartoonist, I have been doing this same pic of myself for quite some time. The basic face shape and smile were something I picked up from Mort Drucker, the famous MAD magazine cartoonist, of a caricature he once did of Dick Van Dyke. Never forgot it.

Here's a portrait I did before carefully reading this thread and seeing that submissions were to be caricatures. I personally prefer the cartoon

ok, here is mine. Not sure if you call it a cartoon or a caricature but it is a graphical representation of my wife and I. I also put the picture that I used for reference. Just used a mouse, I don't do tablets. Drawn with Xtreme , of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruceandleesa.png 
Views:	398 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	55806  
    Last edited by a4hire; 28 January 2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

lots of interesting and lots of good submission.....here's mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thats=me.png 
Views:	357 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	55851