Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: size/shadows

I have a large graphic I was cutting up for the web. Size, of course was very important so everything would line up correctly once it was put in a table. One section was a plain 100x25pix rectangle with text which would become a link. I was playing around with the text for different ideas on an "over" state. I put a glow shadow on the text, drew a bounding box around it all and had a size of 100x25pix. When I exported it however it exported at 100x28pix. I went back to my original and again did a bounding box, then grouped it and lo and behold I know had a size of 100x27.8 pix. I reduced the shadow size, tried again and exported, correctly sized, without difficulty.

So, I have to assume that even though the bounding box was large enough, it didn't pick up the size of the shadow. I had to group it to get a correct size. Is this normal? I often use the bounding box to check on size and hate to think it isn't reliable. Or maybe there is another explanation?

BTW, I love XaraX and am having a great time "playing" with it.

Mickie

I have a large graphic I was cutting up for the web. Size, of course was very important so everything would line up correctly once it was put in a table. One section was a plain 100x25pix rectangle with text which would become a link. I was playing around with the text for different ideas on an "over" state. I put a glow shadow on the text, drew a bounding box around it all and had a size of 100x25pix. When I exported it however it exported at 100x28pix. I went back to my original and again did a bounding box, then grouped it and lo and behold I know had a size of 100x27.8 pix. I reduced the shadow size, tried again and exported, correctly sized, without difficulty.

So, I have to assume that even though the bounding box was large enough, it didn't pick up the size of the shadow. I had to group it to get a correct size. Is this normal? I often use the bounding box to check on size and hate to think it isn't reliable. Or maybe there is another explanation?

BTW, I love XaraX and am having a great time "playing" with it.

Mickie

Hello

The shadow extends from the bounds on the left of a object to a equal point on the right from the centre of the shadow. If you click on the shadow, you will see it's bounding box, but clicking on the object does not show this, even though it is a compound object. The best thing to do is to clip the far end of the shadow, by slicing. Then export.

Long low floor shadows can dramatically increase the size of an export.

Mike Engles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow_bounds.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	7240  

I recently sent the following request to Xara.com as I had a similar problem.

Is it possible to add a "flash group" facility, as the bounding box is not always clear as to what is inside a group and what was not caught with a "select + drag".

Their prompt reply was that they are (as always) on the case.

Mickie and others

If you want to see the actual size of the shadow, change your view to Wireframe by moving the View Quality slider all the way to the left.

The shadow area will now be represented by a rectangular outline.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Gary, the wireframe view is a good tip and I'll remember that.

However, the question left unanswered is when I draw a large bounding box around the objects with the selector tool, why doesn't it pick up the shadow in its sizing? When I draw the bounding box then group the sizing includes the shadow.

Mickie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> when I draw a large bounding box around the objects with the selector tool, why doesn't it pick up the shadow in its sizing? When I draw the bounding box then group the sizing includes the shadow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mickie

Good question. I've noticed that too. What happens if you convert the object to editable shapes? Does that reduce the size of the floor shadow?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Gary,

Converting to editable shapes works, however then I loose the ease of manipulating my text...such a dilemma [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

All the suggested work arounds slicing, clipping, converting, are feasible but I'm working with small parts of a large object and think I would have quite a confused mess when I finished and heaven forbid I'd have to go back and make a change to the design.

I hope something can be done, but if not I know now I have to closely watch the shadows.
    The Shadow knows...

Happy Friday!

Mickie

You can select shadows AND the object to which they are attached by shift clicking, then the selector tool does give the combined size.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd