Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web question

Default Web question

I have put up a quick web site for a small community newspaper I am helping with and would like a suggestion as to how best to do it.

At present, I have the home page and then the first 3 pages of 16 total up underneath it.

I don't think X4 will allow me to have one page large enough to put 16 pages up and I also want to have several months back issues someone can go to as well.

I can, of course, put links to each months back issue but still have the problem of enough space to put all the pages up. In time, I expect the number of pages will keep increasing each month - at least 20 next month.

The site is www.floridacommunitynews.com

Tks all and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Web question

I'm not sure you're going about this the right way at all Jeb.

So far your site is just full sized PNG images
    No text at all.

You really ought to be creating such a site from a mixture of (friendly searchable) text, JPG (for photos) and PNG images.

Each 'page' should be seperate and linked to the next/last rather than stacked in an ever increasing scrolling page which may end up several kilometres in length judging by your comments.

And no, Xtreme will not allow such page dimensions to continue catering for this modus operandi.

Have a look at Gary's Workbook (68) over at the Xara Xone and download the zipped tutorial..

I agree totally with Steve on this. It's not the way to go about doing the site. But as a matter of interest you could create the site using pages. I attach a xar file. If you export it to html you should get an inkling of the possibilities, but creating site solely from images is a real no-no. They're big, search engines can't parse them and they're not dynamic.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Tks, guys -

I will spend some time with the things you have give me.

One thing, however, this site is not for search engines - it is only for someone to go to look at the present and back issues - pages as they appear in print.

The suggestion of linking each page from the bottom of the next page is the best way to go, it looks like - I was hoping to be able to pull up each issue complete without having to link but didn't see an easy way to do that.

As for content - here is another one of my sites -

I think it falls more into what you were talking about.

Again, tks - jb
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 30 December 2008 at 08:12 PM.
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    I think it falls more into what you were talking about.
    Yes, but we were commenting on your first post where you asked for suggestions?.
    You second link is a non-graphics or Xara related 'commercial' site which really doesn't belong in this thread.

I set up a lot of websites for clients using Joomla.

It helps save me from forever having to drop what I am doing just to edit one article, etc..

Joomla has a learning curve, but it is great for projects such as yours seems to be. You can set levels for users, approve article submissions, etc.

There is also a wealth of free templates, extensions and help through their forums and else where on the web. "Did I mention that it's FREE?"

Great paid templates are available as well. I am currently a member with RocketTheme.com, they have some really incredible templates and the support is great.

Might be a bit much for what you need, just figured I'd throw it out there just the same.

I have to agree with Mindseye here for your site. As well as Joomla there are many other CMS type programmes just do a google search for them as some are easier to use than others and don't have the learning curve like Joomla has. It would make your site dynamic allowing your readers to comment on the page and email you directly from your site without using your method at the bottom of your suggested page.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Sorry Albacore! I tend to forget others "and easier ones" exist beyond Joomla and Drupal.

I'm an advocate of Joomla because I'm so familiar with it and use it on a daily basis.

Might I suggest OpenSourceCMS.

You can test drive quite a few and read some reviews as well.

I have moved this thread to the Site Design and Publishing forum as it is no longer relevant to Xara Xtreme.

Tks Sledger and all of you for the input.

This is going to be a very simple site for someone - advertisers, etc. - to go up and look at present and possibly back issues - but later will probably expand its uses.

Again, tks to all for the great info. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com