Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I Need Help On Quality After Resizing in PSP8

Pic 1 was opened in PSP8, resized, retouched a bit and saved and the result is grim...

Pic 2 was opened and resized and exported in Serif PhotoPlus 8. Then I opened it in PSP8 and retouched it with Nik filters and saved it with a much sharper result.

Ignore the colour difference it's just the image quality I am concerned about. I am getting the same poor quality with all images just using PSP8. But opening them and resizing them first in PhotoPlus 8 seems to do the trick. I am confused... Any advice would be gratefully received...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_PSP.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	54722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_Serif_PSP.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	54723  

IP

Default Re: I Need Help On Quality After Resizing in PSP8

Try using a different resampling 'type' - Smart Resize for example may give different results than 'Bilinear' or 'Bicubic' for example
    IP

Hi,

I know what you mean about the loss of clarity in PSP. PSP is brilliant but always had problems with resizing. Used 5 through to X2 and it's always been the same.

Don't know if it helps but I have to resize loads of pics for our website. Once I have finished re-touching I keep really good clarity by copying the image out of PSP and then pasting it into powerpoint. Change the size and then copy and paste it back. Don't know why powerpoint holds such good clarity??? OK for shrinking but not so hot on enlarging. Sometimes have to hit the sharpen tool in PSP to add a bit of zing.
    IP

In my experience there's no faster software for resizing images when used for websites than IrfanView. It can also batch process.

However, I have never found PSP 6 or PSP X2 to create vastly different results if the best resizing/resampling method (resampling algorithm) is chosen. Clarity has always been very good.
    Below are results from 4 applications all resizing the same high res image down to 250pix (no sharpening).
    Aside from Xtremes notorious white edge, I can barely notice any difference between all four. In fact, if you look at the car grill and number plate, PSPX2 has done somewhat better that the others.

Also note that when saving JPG also requires you set the correct compression/quality level. 75% quality (25% compression) is normally regarded as best for images used on websites.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizing.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	54886  
    IP

Thanks for the help guys - Smart Resize is way better... However I am banned from sitting here for long due to a stiff neck so will proceed as and when... Damn cold here in Surrey!
    IP