Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3DS MAX or Maya?

If anyone could be kind enough to give me advice on where to start (I'm a newb). 3DS MAX or Maya? I've been told that people who leave school with MAYA experience are sometimes forced to go through and learn 3dS Max since so many studios prefer that. Which one is better and which one should I begin with?
    IP

Default Re: 3DS MAX or Maya?

I've been told that people who leave school
    Start with the one your school is teaching.
    Once you learn the fundamentals with one major application, the learning curve is much shorter with another.
    IP

Basically people in the industry prefer 3DSMAX not because it is better but just that there are more people out there who learn the program and therefore can work at those places.

Maya has strong points as does 3DSMAX, personally I learnt using Maya.

Maya is more expensive than 3DSMAX, but now since Autodesk owns 3DSMAX and Maya its not really about that anymore. The profits still go to the same company, so the two suites are not in competition with eachother. It just means users have a choice in software from the one provider.

As Mike said, learn what you are being trained on. There is no point in trying to learn 3DSMAX when you are paying money to learn Maya. The fundamentals are the same and infact since Autodesk owns both programs, you will find tools and GUI similarities between them.

I have also heard that Maya is more stable in terms of its coding and therefor coding of inhouse plugins etc. But this is a long way off from where you are now.

Illustrator doesn't control me....I control the beast within
    IP

Perhaps the most important determinant for this question is... which discipline interests you?

Modeling, textures, animation etc.... all are different and yet all fall into the same pipeline...

to a certain degree each app will have it's pro's and cons depending primarily on these disciplines... read what others have to say about such on more topic specific forums at say cgtalk, and test things for yourself re trials...

happy 3ding
    IP

As you hav told that you r newb its dosnt means that you wud be success in 3d. To start with 3ds max its way to easy then Maya in all areas means modelling texturing and lighting and so on...but after you reach a saturation point of learing den things going to toughen a lot e.g. animation giving life to ur characters and so on..........
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by davidana View Post
    If anyone could be kind enough to give me advice on where to start (I'm a newb). 3DS MAX or Maya? I've been told that people who leave school with MAYA experience are sometimes forced to go through and learn 3dS Max since so many studios prefer that. Which one is better and which one should I begin with?
    When I first started using 3d programs I had the same questions. After using both I decided to create this web page explaining the differences between the two.
    http://machinimart.com/maya-vs-3ds-max/
    Please tell me what you think I love feedback!
    IP

I'd just like to say, your choice depends on what you want to do in 3D. Work mostly with organic shapes? Mechanical 3D animation? Illustration renders? Game modeling? Architecture?

There are so many aspects in 3D to consider, but the thing you need to do is figure out what it is you want to do/create in 3D, and then get the most suitable tool for your needs.
    IP

It depends what u want to do in 3d application if u want to work for Architecture u can go for 3ds max if u want to go for vfx u can go for maya,but the main thing is if u want to do any thing u can do in both application these are great application if u know u can do any thing u want i think its clear now.if are new its better start with 3ds max.
    http://constructionprojectmanagementsoftware.us
    IP

take start with 3ds Max.
    because if you know the basic of 3ds Max than you easily grab the things of Maya. most of the options in 3ds Max similar with Maya.
    start with 3ds Max.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    Start with the one your school is teaching.
    Once you learn the fundamentals with one major application, the learning curve is much shorter with another.
    That is great advice. Go with what your school is doing, then in a while you'll have an informed opinion about which way to go later.

Everybody has their own experience and situation. There are several 3D packages favoured by differrent studios, all for good reason, so there is really no answer to your question. If there were an answer, it might not be the same answer in a few years time.
    Last edited by pauland; 16 March 2011 at 03:58 PM.
    IP