Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: spacescape

Default spacescape

This is 95% Illustrator, and 5% Xtreme for the bitmap fills on the ellipses.
    I'm experimenting for the first time with the gradient mesh tool, working my way towards an aurora borealis in the future.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spacescape.png 
Views:	379 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	54704  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Default Re: spacescape

Nice effect in the background Bob. How do you like using the gradient mesh tool? I find it requires a lot of pre-planing before using it in say a face as I nearly have to sketch out the drawing in pencil first before placing the gradient. Having said that when doing a simple object like fruit or curtains it is a winner over placing transparencies over the object to get the same effect.

Bob some where I have seen a tutorial in AI of the aurora borealis but I am sorry I don't have the link. Maybe you could do a google search? Sorry I should have said I really like the background effect but the planets are too dark and lack a 3D look.
    Last edited by Albacore; 30 December 2008 at 10:43 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Thanks for the comments, Peter. I've only experimented with the mesh tool for about half an hour to produce the result above.
    In that time I've just about figured out the principles of its use. I can see that it is a powerful tool, but as you say, forward planning seems to be essential.
    I found the aurora borealis tutorial it looks quite challenging. A bit more practice first, I think. You're right, the planets do look flat, I wasn't happy with them, so I'll revisit this again soon.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I did one similar to this in Illustrator showing what I have too date thought maybe I would add some close up planets later.

Name:	AuroraBorealis11238.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	54750  
    IP

Wow, that's a bit special, George.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    IP

Hi Bob,
    I had a quick 40 minutes at that tutorial yesterday before dinner. Changed quite a lot of it as I used the bright star as a symbol and sprayed and shifted away. Then on a new layer did the Borealis but did not spend long enough shifting the mesh points around before giving it the blur and transparency. It's just about OK will probably spend and bit of time at the weekend to get it right. Your interpretation is far better than mine!

Name:	borialis.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	54862  
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I posted this graphic in the Off Topic Forum a day or two ago.
    I think I improved the background and the planets.
    I will get around to the aurora borealis tutorial.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	new year.png 
Views:	324 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	54865  
    IP