Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bitmap to eps

Default Bitmap to eps

Hi Guys ,
    I am Garment designer, and need to get my bitmps into EPS Form, with no Bitmaps,
    Is that possibel in Xara, or do i have to design and take a jpg into corel or inkscape ?
    I go thru the export thing, and it still has bitmaps encapsulated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Bitmap to eps

Bitmaps are raster images, made up entirely of pixels. An .eps file contains vector shapes. To convert bitmap to vector is possible, in Xara Xtreme, Illustrator, Inkscape and Coreldraw. This is because each of these programs have a Bitmap Tracing function, that automatically (and with some user defined parameters) converts the raster image into vector shapes which can then be exported as an .eps file.

Some bitmaps do not lend themselves easily to this bitmap/vector conversion, usually because of the low quality of the bitmap source, and in these cases it is recommended that a Pen Tool or Shape Editor Tool (in the case of Xara Xtreme) is used to "hand trace" the image.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 21 December 2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hi sparkles,

I'm a guy but there's same gals here that might help too

I'm pretty certain you cannot turn a bitmap into a PostScript document simply by exporting it.

You need to first create it as vector by tracing it either by hand or use a tracing program and then export it.

Edit: Bob jumped in just before me

Try to convert your bitmap online with Vector Magic:
    http://vectormagic.com/
    It is (probably) the best bitmap to vector converter ever!

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference Sparkles

Vector Magic is the best bitmap tracing application out there. They now offer a stand alone version of the program or you can pay a small fee for using it online.

But you can get some excellent traces in Xtreme as well.

Here are three tutorials for getting a good bitmap trace:

And finally, in order to get an EPS or similar file from your bitmap traced image, export your image in a vector format. For example, JPEG and TIFF and PNG are bitmap formats.

You might show a sample of what your trying to do. Tracing areas by hand could be an option.

Rich

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Hi Guys ,
    I am Garment designer, and need to get my bitmps into EPS Form, with no Bitmaps,
    Are these images going to be used for embroidery? If so a hand trace may be better, as sometimes depending on the image vector tracing utilities (even Vector Magic) can produce a huge amount of shapes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for all the info, I am sending the final eps file to a vinyl cutter,, which only cuts to eps.