Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using XXP to generate "sifr" flash files...?

Hi,

Working as a frontend developer on the net I sometimes come across websites which do not seattle for common fonts. They want to include text (not graphics) which are rendered in a given font.

SIFR is a system which could be used as a soulution for their need. I must admit I do not know much about exactly how it is done, but it is possibel somehow using Flash and Javascript to add "non standard fonts" on a webpage.

Being a solid Xara user combined with the fact that XXP can generate flash files, I was wondering: "Could I perhaps use XXP for the purpose of generating the needed SWF file when wanting to use custom fonts on a website?"

Have you heard if this can be done - and how?

Here is an example of a site I have been involved in implementing, a site which uses SIFR: www.danskeadvokater.dk, an example of the use is the headers (for instance "De danske advokatvirksomheders brancheforening").

And by the way: Merry christmas and a happy new year!
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Default Re: Using XXP to generate "sifr" flash files...?

Hmm... was I too fast? Did I (again) underestimate the power of the web? Anyway - I found a free online wizard which actually for free generates SWF sIFR ready files :-)

Here it is: http://www.sifrgenerator.com/wizard.html

Oh, I can recommend that you read my thread if you want to try using custom sIFR based fonts on your website.
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

If tried this before but couldn't get the hang of it.
    You're explanation makes it more clear
    It's a nice feature

Hans
    Last edited by haakoo; 21 December 2008 at 09:52 AM.

That sounds useful.

The only other way I know is to specify the font in the HTML script but then the font only displays if the visitor has the font installed on her or his computer. This sifr sounds better.

Gary

Hi Sten, I agree that font choice is one of standard html's failings. Flash has had embedded fonts since version6 I believe and since version 8 has had the ability to "render fonts for readability" that make fonts very sharp. This is one of the often overlooked features of Flash. Most fonts can be embedded for an additional overhead of 8 to 32 Kb.

The attached Flash generated swf contains 14 different fonts.

Thanks for the links.

Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: swf mc.swf (116.6 KB, 341 views)
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host