Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to Create a Frame

Hi. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have Paint Shop Pro X2Ultimate. How do you create a new picture frame? I am wanting to frame a portion of an image but I want the frame by itself so I can save the frame as a png file.

Thanks for your help,
    Kaye
    IP

Default Re: How to Create a Frame

Hello Kaye, welcome to the forum.
    Create a new file (Ctrl + N)
    Tick the transparent box in the dialogue box that opens.
    Go to the Image Menu and select Picture Frame...
    Select the frame from the choices on offer.
    Export the frame as a .png file. (Go to File Menu, Export, PNG Optimizer...)
    Go to the Transparency tab and select the Existing Image Or Layer Transparency radial button. Click OK your frame is now ready to use.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks Bob for replying. That helps. Even though I have had Paint Shop Pro for awhile, I've only cropped or straightened a photo. Do you have to use those frames or can you create your own? For instance, if I want a frame for a different color border than what is offered in Paint Shop Pro. If you can create you own, how do you do it? Instead of a frame, is it called a border?

Kaye
    IP

Hi Kaye, here are some links to try:
    One Two Three

The first is for 66.4 Mb worth of FREE frame downloads.
    The second is a nice site with some frames to download,
    The third gives you some tutorials on how to create your own PSP frames.
    Good luck!
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 18 December 2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks Bob. Those sites look great.

Kaye
    IP

Well you can create your own but If all you want to do is change its colour use the Hue saturation and lightness filter or colourise filter then there is the colour changer And a few others.

Frames are saved as a single layer with transparency and are saved by using the file > export >picture frame
    IP

Thanks Trev for replying. I guess I thought that since something was already created that I couldn't change the color. I have got so much to learn. I am glad I found this forum. I have been so frustrated if I had questions because most people use Photoshop and couldn't answer my question.

Kaye
    IP

I tried to do what Bob suggested and Paint Shop Pro kicks me out. I created a new file, then went to the Image Menu and selected Picture Frame and Paint Shop Pro kicks me out. What am I doing wrong?

If I want to save a frame from a free site on the internet, where do I need to file it in Paint Shop Pro so that it will show in the Picture Frame menu?

Thanks for your help,
    Kaye
    IP

Hi Kaye,
    When I create a new transparent file and select Picture frame I get this "auto actions" prompt and I just click the "OK" button. I'm using PSP X , so it may be otherwise if you are using a different version.

Store your frames like this:
    Go to File Menu, Preferences, File Locations... the attached dialogue box opens which allows you to browse to where you have filed them. It should show the default location for all the PSP file types. The locations have changed since Corel bought PSP from Jasc. You could file all you picture frames, picture tubes, patterns, and gradients etcetera in a location like a second internal hard drive so that you can point PSP to look for them there. This means that if you have to format your C: drive, you have all your PSP files safe.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	auto actions.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	54492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file locations.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	54494  

IP

Thanks Bob. On your first example, I get that box too and click OK. That's when a message comes up saying "Paint Shop Pro X2 has Encountered a Problem and Needs to Close". I tried opening an image, adding a new raster layer and clicked Picture Frame and I get the message. I think I will try reinstalling the software and see if that helps. Or, do you know of anything else for me to try?

Your second image was very helpful. Now I know where to see where the files are filed. I had been looking everywhere.

Thanks,
    Kaye
    IP