Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default My KDE icons with Xara LX

Seeing the kubuntu thread was a good surprise for me because I was ready to show my evening work on the same system.

I converted my bitmap icons with Xara LX to place them on my KDE desktop. This picture is directly extracted from my desktop printscreen. The Blender and the Xara ones are created with Xara LX and the other ones are composited and tinted in Xara LX.

Colorizing was very easy ! To replace the white of the the bakground photograph by a somewhat creamy white I created this color and defined it as a named color. Afterwards I selected my photograph and simply left click on the new creamy white in the color bar. Then I did the same for the icons pictures.

The most lacking feature in LX for this kind of work is the "Create Bitmaps Copy".

I also used my Inkscape filters for embossing the Firefox and Thunderbird icons, and the "E" stroke drawn with Expression 3. Inkscape icon is one of my enamels svg effects applied to a vector shape.

Kindly,
    ivan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mykdeicons.png 
Views:	999 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	54294  
    Last edited by ivan louette; 11 December 2008 at 12:01 AM.
    IP

Default Re: My KDE icons with Xara LX

Very nice and interesting looking icons Ivan

I have some other ways you could use xaralx to get that embossed look using the bitmap trace and bevel tools, and even the gel'd "E" look using the freehand brush, and bevel tools
    I'll do some later and show in another post, so as not to intrude on this one.

Showfoto also has some really nice filter effects to achieve those results... as well as GraphicsMagick
    IP

Default Re: My KDE icons with Xara LX

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    Very nice and interesting looking icons Ivan

I have some other ways you could use xaralx to get that embossed look using the bitmap trace and bevel tools, and even the gel'd "E" look using the freehand brush, and bevel tools
    I'll do some later and show in another post, so as not to intrude on this one.
    Yes, I saw very nice Egg's works using that technique some years ago. But I prefer using the purity of Xara bevel for simple or precisely defined shapes. Otherwise I use it on Flash traced or Inkscape traced objects. That's just a question of personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    Showfoto also has some really nice filter effects to achieve those results... as well as GraphicsMagick
    Of course, but I prefer my own Inkscape svg filters They are so versatile and for example with my emboss ones you can precisely adjust your picture colors and contrast in the same dialog. And of course they are resolution independent ! And I also extensively use the GIMP Sinc (Lanczos3) algorithm to resize small icons without pixellation and work comfortably on them in Inkscape.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP