Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Colour management not working?

Hi,

Does PSPX2 actually do any real colour management?

I've got a Spyder3 Pro hardware calibrator which has created a profile for my display and Lightroom/Photoshop pick up that profile and give a very accurate match to prints.

PSPX2 seems to ignore the profile, in fact when I installed it decided my monitor profile was sRGB and when I told it to use my monitor profile I found another problem but more on that later.

No matter what settings I use PSPX2 doesn't adjust the display colours based on the icc profile for my monitor - even if I go and select some random profile that should give horrible results the colours on screen are unchanged - this suggests PSPX2 doesn't manage colours at all. The image is always displayed the same as another other app that doesn't manage display colours.

The other problem is when I do tell it to use my monitor profile certain parts of the UI are suddenly drawn black. The colour gradients in the Material panel or the small image previews in most tools such as Brightness/Contrast for example. If I turn colour management off these elements come back to life.

Corel couldn't help with an answer and pointed me here. They best they could come up with was to use the built in monitor calibration tool but that does a very poor job and doesn't correct for colour casts. Besides, I've got the Spyder3 to create a very accurate profile why should I settle for a best guess by eye?

How do I get colour management to actually do something?
    IP

Default Re: Colour management not working?

If you have you monitor profile set to the profile you created it should work fine but the fact parts of the giu go black means you have an incorrect profile selected(maybe a Printer profile). If you have set windows to use your created profile then it should be correct for all application setting it again in PSP may be causing double corrections. as for the sRGB is that the default windows profile or are you referring to the colour working space. that should be the same as you use for taking the images so if your camera is set to adobe use that if sRGB use that then PSP will not have to convert the image to the current workspace.

Corel sent you here or to the corel news groups?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    If you have you monitor profile set to the profile you created it should work fine but the fact parts of the giu go black means you have an incorrect profile selected(maybe a Printer profile). If you have set windows to use your created profile then it should be correct for all application setting it again in PSP may be causing double corrections. as for the sRGB is that the default windows profile or are you referring to the colour working space. that should be the same as you use for taking the images so if your camera is set to adobe use that if sRGB use that then PSP will not have to convert the image to the current workspace.

Corel sent you here or to the corel news groups?
    Last things first - Corel support gave me a direct link to this site.

The profile in PSP is the correct one for my monitor - as part of the calibration process with the Spyder you name the profile so I know it is the correct one - plus of course PSP only lists the profiles associated with the device in the first place. The profile is correct and is used by other apps without problems, it's only PSP that is having problems with it.

I use sRGB as my working space throughout, when I installed PSP it added sRGB to the list of profiles for my monitor and made it the default profile but I've no idea why it would do that. I've since removed it. There is only one profile associated with the monitor, the one the Spyder3 generated.

I don't see why PSP should double correct - windows isn't colour managed it's down to the application to support it. I don't have double correction in any other apps.

Just to confirm. In PSP what settings do you have for colour management? Do you notice a change in screen colours when switching management on/off?
    IP

To help demonstrate the problem here's a screen grab show the same image in 3 apps:

PSPX2, Windows Photo Gallery, Photoshop CS2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cm_probs.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	54285

Note the difference in the reds between the left hand image (PSPX2) and the other two. Checking the values with the picker shows there is a clear difference. The two on the right are the correct colours and match a print, PSPX2's version isn't and doesn't because it's not being colour managed. The result is the same regardless of whether colour management is turned on or not.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 December 2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Attach users image to post - remove hotlink
    IP