Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web creation question

I created a couple of pages using Gary's tutorial. They had popups and rollovers. For me and most people they worked fine. However, when I posted a link to the pages in the Yahoo newsgroup I got the following message back from on of the members. He got somewhat shirty when I tried to explain that I was just showing how to make pages in Xtreme and if he had a problem with the creation of the pages he should talk to Xara support.
    His message
    Nice work, Grace, but I must be somewhat of a wet blanket. I use Firefox's
    NoScript extension, and the button doesn't change states when I visit. You
    will want to use the CSS :hover pseudo-class
    (http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_pseudo_hover.asp) to provide rollover
    functionality for those visitors who, like me, use NoScript or simply keep
    scripting turned off all the time for security reasons.

e.g., in your CSS...

a {
    background-image: blueVersion;
    }

a:hover {
    background-image: redVersion;
    }

This will cause the images to switch whenever the mouse hovers or leaves the
    link, regardless of whether scripting is turned off or on. Works in all
    browsers

Is this something that is a bug?
    My pages are at http://gracehjs.com/grace/Classes/Createorg/crweb.htm
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: Web creation question

His choice to use noscript to block javascript

I use noscript - and an lot of sites do not work well [or at all] if javascript is blocked

Its not a bug - he can change his noscript permissions if he chooses
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Grace, I've always found it best to have JavaScript disabled. You can't be too sure when it comes to security you know. Also as a good measure I'd also deny any Flash content. I've also heard that image files can contain viruses, so switch them off as well. I'm not 100% sure about text only sites. Probably the best bet is to deny html text files access also. Just to be totally sure, I'd unplug your modem/router

All tongue in cheek, but I hope you get the idea. If visitors are going to turn off various plug-ins etc. then your site's not going to display as you'd intended. There are well intending folk out there who'll tell you how it should be done in the latest way/fashion/etc. So your roll-overs don't work on his set-up? Is it earth shattering that it doesn't? He's made a very concious decision to disable JavaScript and should therefore be aware not everything will display as the creator may have intended. It's a constantly evolving process, but do you as a creator of the Grace & Roger web site need degree's in website design?

Xtreme can produce excellent web sites between the software and your creativity. It won't satisfy everyone's needs but it will satisfy the vast majority of users .

On a positive note, create text links to your pages as well. Your now giving 2 options to your visitors.

I'm now about to be pilloried for my comments but that's the way I see it.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sounds a very sensible summary to me Egg

Grace - your website rollovers do not work if javascript permissions are denied in noscript, but they work fine if permissions are granted - this is how that add-on is supposed to work
    Nothing lasts forever...

Actually, despite the negative connotations put on the guys post, I think he was being helpful. He was showing how to achieve exactly the same effect without using javascript.

If I use html (rather than flash) I use html for my rollover effects too. In many ways javascript is unnecessary for that functionality.

So +1 for the view of the respondent, who was just trying to be helpful.

Paul

Ok - he might have been trying to be helpful but 'you will want to' is directive not suggestive, and by and large helpful people do not get 'shirty' [ok we all do occasionally ]

it sounds to me like someone who believes working without javascript is 'secure' in itself, which is rather like tying one hand behind your back because its easier to squeeze through small spaces.

Perhaps he should be using Opera
    Nothing lasts forever...

In Dutch we have a saying;
    (freely translated)
    There's yet to be found a cook,
    that can cook for all tastes alike.

I would simply put a message on my index or have a noscript-redirect to a page with simple text where you explain that if you don't have javascript installed or turned off,the site cannot be seen in full-effect.
    Give them an explanation on how to turn on javascript,then it would be their choice.

Hans