Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've cloned some text and then made changes (pt size,bold, position) I want the cloned text to become uncloned/separate from the original. Can this be done? CD9
    IP

I've cloned some text and then made changes (pt size,bold, position) I want the cloned text to become uncloned/separate from the original. Can this be done? CD9
    IP

My experience is that as soon as you make changes to the cloned text it ceases to become a clone and any subsequent changes you make to the original text are no longer made to what was the clone. Does that make sense? Is this not what you are finding? I am using 9 also.
    Joe
    Joe
    http://www.therealperth.com
    An independent guide to Perth, Scotland
    IP

Marie

Glad to see you didn't get lost in the move.

Interesting question, I searched the help (in Draw 7) for an answer but couldn't find one.

Nothing I tried seemed to remove the description of cloned text from the status bar if a cloned text object is selected.

Until that is I did this

Select the cloned text object
    Cut
    Paste

This seems to break the link with the master object.

Make sure you are on the right layer when you perform this operation e.g. If you are on layer 1 and select text from layer 2 then cut and paste it will end up on layer 1.

For information, every time you perform an operation on a cloned object such as a rotation, this feature of the cloned object becomes dissociated from the master, the object still retains all the other cloned attributes such as size. So adjusting the rotation of the master will not affect the cloned object, but adjusting the size of the master object will affect the cloned object.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

No luck on changing the font and breaking the 'clone' link. When I delete the 'master' they all go away, Bummer!!!!!!! But....... the cut/paste method did work. Wonderful, thank you thank you.. very much. And glad I found you all again.
    IP

Hi Marie,
    If you want to break a cloned objected off from the master, select both the clone and the master object. Go to the Arrange menu and the Separate option should be available. This will break all links from the master to the clone. You can then delete the master without deleting the clone.

Cut and paste works too but separate takes fewer steps I think.
    The others are right about the characteristics of the clone, once you change something on the clone it is no longer linked to the master for that single characteristic. It is still connected for the rest. I have used clones a lot for things like multiple tickets, post card and the like.

Pat Gibson

PKGibson, Trainer
    Certified CorelDRAW
    Instructor
    www.sulfurcreek.com
    PKGibson, Trainer
    Certified CorelDRAW
    Instructor
    www.sulfurcreek.com
    IP