Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Mysite Design speed

Had a nice reply for you Paul,
    An adobe article about animating objects over the (static)vector background.
    As this would make the bg redraw on screen and people should use cacheAsBitmap for it.
    But when i was replying,browser chrashed and all was gone.
    The main issue here was the loading time and i tested with a pic(100kb) exported to swf,which becomes a png inside this swf (140kb)
    onloading 50% and cpu stays around 5-15% after caching.
    bitmap-traced same pic at highest settings exported as swf( 561kb)
    Onloading the cpu went off the charts 100% and stays around 4-12%.
    Now when applying only one frame more on the timeline or transparencies
    scripting _visible or _alpha=0
    This would make the vector to be redrawn.
    You're right if it would be just a single static vector image
    But this will in 99.9% not be the case.

Hans

pointers http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/ar...aching_03.html

Hans I think we both agree on the following:

Vector images are not constantly redrawn, while vector animations are.

Going a bit further:

It may well be that Flash is often used for animation - more so than still images. The important thing for me is to refute the notion that flash is continually redrawing static images - it doesn't, nor is it a bandwidth hog.

Your references are valuable for animations and they are there simply because animations are repetitive tasks and inevitably processor intensive because of that. There's little correlation between vector complexity and bandwidth - having a complex vector doesn't mean excessive bandwidth usage.

Paul

Late on parade here! I believe there's a general opinion that vector images are ALWAYS smaller than bitmap images when used in Flash/Swish/Web etc and of course we know this isn't always the case. But I must agree with Paul, static vector images are drawn once and only once. Obviously if the vector is animated it needs to be redrawn every frame and this MAY be slower than using a bitmap depending on the complexity of the shape.

Regarding the size, again if the vector is static there's no problem, but tweening a vector to ever greater size can slow the rendering down, as it does for a bitmap, but a vector can become very slow at large sizes, way out of proportions the that of the bitmap. But non of this bears any relation to the initial vector size. I fact I often inport XX vectors via swf into Flash at 1000 pixels and then reduce them. This creates a far smoother image.

One thing that I've noticed over the years is that if your going to animate a complex vector then do it using a group vector. Ungrouped vectors can be very jerky.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 December 2008 at 02:07 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host