Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mysite Design speed

Hi,
    i created a personal website using Xtreme Pro 4 (without the "website" export option) then re-assembles in SwishMax2 and uploaded to my personal websapce.
    I was wondering if members with different access ( I am DSL) would give me idea on the access speed and browser functionality, please.
    The site is
    http://members.shaw.ca/macgregorj/
    thanks

Default Re: Mysite Design speed

I'm on 1.5mbit dsl and it takes around 1 minute 25 secs to load in each browser Scotty.
    Opera renders your entire flash page very small. (see attached)
    Looking at your source you have set the size at 100% x 100% rather then a defined size?

Leaving your visitors to view just a blue screen for so long means they will likely click-away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scottyopera.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	54025  

I agree with Sledger, it takes far too long to load (with no feedback to the user) and when loaded it has navigation problems.

Even with 'feedback' (Loading progress) 100% flash sites annoy the cr*p out of me big time.
    Often I'm left waiting far too long before I see any content then only to find it doesn't have what I'm looking for in the first place. Worse still, any choices available on that first 'flash' page generally result in another lengthy wait as the link just loads another flash page. So repeatedly I'm being forced to download megabytes of silly unnecessary flash data for no good reason other than to satisfy their advertising depts creativity and justify their pay cheques.

In Opera and FF I can disable flash entirely which renders a simple flash button instead which I can press should I really want to view it. If the page loads with nothing but one flash button (meaning it's 100% flash), I always click away and move one.

Here's a typical example which in my mind is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary, (prepaid mobile broadband).

It would be useful if a plain ol' html site could be offered as an alternative for people on slow connections or who simply do not enjoy (or want) the TV Commercial-like 'push' production of flash.

Of course I'm not saying flash doesn't have it's place, it does. But it should not be overused or incorrectly used. Often it is.

Of course this is my opinion only - other people may really like these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Of course this is my opinion only - other people may really like these sites.
    LOL

Yes Steve, it's just your opinion. From your description I was expecting far worse from the link - it's mildly amusing though a tad cumbersome.

We'll agree to differ about Flash.

Paul

Hi,
    Well I thank you for your feedback all of it good and bad. I created the site just to amuse myself and keep my mind a little active. The site I created was just for my enjoyment and for the benefit of the people I play dungeons and dragons on-line with. It is not to promote a product or service in any way.
    As you might not be aware Xara Xtreme Pro 4 doesn't allow my system to export as "website" for some reason so I created the layout in Xtreme and export as png files then assmble page in SwishMax.
    I appreciate the feed back and have re done the site which I may ask for opinions again.
    Jim

Scotty, sorry to hear your still having problems exporting to html. If you like, you could send me your xar file and I'll export it to html for you and email it back.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,
    I am overwhelmed a your offer thanks! I have a new computer ordered I should have it by this Friday. thank you for he gracious offer tho'.
    As stated in my previous post it is just to amuse myself and keep my brain active. I will Probably change it two or three times in a week.
    Jim
    p.s already broke it down to one page for each character.
    Jim

Hi,

Here's a tool to see how things are loading
    http://www.octagate.com/service/sitetimer/

Hans

Thanks Hans, good link.

It's not entirely representative of flash sites, though.