Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Picture Tubes

Default Picture Tubes

I have downloaded tutorials on how to create your own picture tubes. They all start off by opening a new image and setting a colour depth of 16 million colours (24 bit) but the relevant drop down box on my new image does not give that option. I have Paint Shop Pro X Version 10.3 and am running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3, Asus 512Mb 8500GT video Card, 4Gb of RAM and Prolite E431S monitor. Please can someone tell why I cannot increase the colour depth to 24 bit.
    IP

Default Re: Picture Tubes

Welcome to the forum, Eileen. Using Paintshop Pro X I have the same situation as you do, but oddly enough, using PSP 8 I do get the option of 16 million colours (24 bit). So I would say that there's nothing wrong with your system, or your PSP X installation.
    When I get more time later today, I'll work through a picture tube tutorial (I'm not that familiar with PSP yet) and see what happens. In the meantime someone else may be along who can tell you more.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psp 8 x.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	53957  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Version X uses slightly different terminology.

In version 8 it gives you the total bits. The 24bits breaks down to 8 bits per channel, one for Red, one for Green, and one for Blue. 8 times 3 equals 24.

In version X it gives you the same information but states it as 16bits per channel which is a total of 48 bits. Twice the colour depth of version 8.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

do you have an option for 32bit in PSP X?

if it is like photoshop CS4 there is 8/16/32 bit but no 24 - seems like 24 bit is on the way out - my scanner is 24bit, and refuses to work with CS4 - I have to use my old PS elements 2
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

right Bill that make sense to me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Tube made in PSP X using RGB - 16 bits/channel setting.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tube.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	53958  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thank you very much guys for your help - and I did it. The program demanded 8bits/channel, but I don't care - I DID IT.
    IP

Normal jpegs are 8 bits per Chanel = 24 If you open a image in PSP and promote the background layer you can have transparency which is another 8 bits per channel making 32 bit images Of course you can only save in a file format that supports transparency.
    If you have a camera raw image then it Will contain 12 to 14 bits per Channel but packed into a 16 bit per channel image +48 and again you can add a transparency channel.
    You can also get 48 bit images from scanners.
    Not all tools in PSP can work with 16 BPC. so they are reduced to 8 bit X2 does levels and curves in 16 bit but the Histogram adjustment is still limited to 8 bit.
    Plug ins filter are also limited to 8 BPC/24 bit /16 million colours
    IP