Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I changed something... now when I click an object and click on the outline to change width/color I always get RGB colors not CMYK like I want. This happens on fills also. I have the CMYK color palette showing and if I use that for outlines, etc I get CMYK but if I use the 'Outline Pen' window I get RGB. Can anyone tell me how to get the CMYK defaults back?

Marie (inphoenix)
    IP

I changed something... now when I click an object and click on the outline to change width/color I always get RGB colors not CMYK like I want. This happens on fills also. I have the CMYK color palette showing and if I use that for outlines, etc I get CMYK but if I use the 'Outline Pen' window I get RGB. Can anyone tell me how to get the CMYK defaults back?

Marie (inphoenix)
    IP

Please consider the following:

1) With nothing selected, click on the fill tool. A dialog box will warn you that you are about to set a default. When you click OK, it will let you set your default color. Any object created from that time forward will have that default. In this way, you can also set your default for outline. To change the default in the future, you simply select the tool again when nothing is selected.

2) The palette is another way to select colors. It is quite possible to have a CMYK palette onscreen and yet to have an RGB color as your default fill or outline. Beginning with Draw 9, you can also have more than one palette onscreen. For instance, you can have both CMYK and RGB palettes visable.

3) When you edit an item, the palette that shows up is whatever palette was last used for that item. For instance, if you have two objects onscreen, one RGB and one CMYK, then you will get different options when you edit their fills.

4) The default fill referred to in part 1 above can be saved as your default for new drawings by going to Tools/ Graphics and Text Styles and clicking on the little arrow in the upper right of the docker. Select Template/ Set as Default for New Documents.

5) Unlike the default fill, the default palette that you have onscreen is simply whatever palette you had onscreen the last time you closed Draw.

6) If you're a new user, then you're probably not aware that you can assign a color simply by clicking on the palette (left or fill, right for outline) or also by dragging the swatch to the item. When dragging, let go when the cursor looks like an outline to change the outline and let go when it looks solid to change the fill.

There's lots more, but that should give you something to chew on.
    IP

The next time youu start up CorelDRAW hold down the F-8 Key. Then you will be asked if you wish to restore the default settings to which you reply YES.

If you have any custom settings you will loose them and will have to re-instate them again.

Good Luck

Jim Cormier
    Corel Trainer/Illustrator
    IP

Thank you both very much for your help.
    Marie Ybarra (inphoenix)
    IP

Hi Marie,

I make it a habit, on a very regular basis, to back up my custom workspace. Believe me, just blink an eye and preferences can change without you knowing it....

And how handy when you're installing/reinstalling CorelDRAW to just drop your workspace profile files in the worksoace folders. Even better, we install everyone's profiles on all the Corel machines in the office. This is great when you're working on someone else's machine... just go to TOOLS>OPTIONS and select your custom workspace and use it for that session that you're there. Kind of makes you feel right at home.

But, like me mammy and pappy always used to say... leave the place like you found it. Reset the original user's profiles when you're done. Everybody gets along better that way.

There you go... better living through Corel!

Have a good one,

Gary
    IP