Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

It has become a habit for me to check this gallery every time I visit the main Xara X forum. Lately the gallery has been too quite and it cries out for more submissions. I thought I'd better do something about the situation and get off my butt and post. The rest of you big butts (you know who you are) need to post in the gallery too. Posting burns off about 14 calories - post enough and you can have another beer.

The graphic below come out of my playing with Xara X's ability to attach a blend to a curve. I don't really know what it is. I think it looks kind-a ocular. If you know what it is please post a reply so I'll know.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocularthingy.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	7712  

It has become a habit for me to check this gallery every time I visit the main Xara X forum. Lately the gallery has been too quite and it cries out for more submissions. I thought I'd better do something about the situation and get off my butt and post. The rest of you big butts (you know who you are) need to post in the gallery too. Posting burns off about 14 calories - post enough and you can have another beer.

The graphic below come out of my playing with Xara X's ability to attach a blend to a curve. I don't really know what it is. I think it looks kind-a ocular. If you know what it is please post a reply so I'll know.

Regards, Ross

Ross

Some of these images are approaching fine art. (I love the image, by the way).

It has a Native American design feeling about it. Perhaps similar to the use of the feather in a circle motif used by the Mimbres and other groups in the southwest.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Thanks for your encouraging words Gary.

The graphic reminded me of quill work done with dyed porcupine needles. I don't know why I put the sphere-like thingy in the centre. It just seemed like it wanted to be there! (I'm playing up this artsy-fartsy thing).

By the way the basis of the image is one blend of bullet-shaped (cloned) shapes applied to a circle. The result was cloned/scaled/rotated/sent-to-back progressively one inside the other. It really was a very quick experiment taking no more than several minutes. Xara X is fast!

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 09, 2001 at 08:21 PM.]

There, another post submitted - I deserve another fine Danish beer!

Xarans - Do you see how that works - Submit to the gallery forum and you get to have a beer. Try it! I love this forum...

Regards, Ross

Ross,

Ahem - In deference to Gary’s fine art comment, I think I remember seeing something like your post in my mirror one “morning after”, perhaps more red though ;-)

Bob C.

I wonder if Bob's eye looked more like the following attachment.

I made this image after seeing the contour tip on fellow Xaran Jonathan Payne's web page. I followed his technique but applied multicolour linear fills to the original object. After creating the contour I selected the contour part and used the fill tool to change to a circular fill (which retained the multicolours). The result was very trippy! What is really neat is the interactive effects you get as you alter the fill's centerpoint. I started to see an eye-like image being developed which led to using xara to create an animated gif. The only difference between frames is I altered the fill of the original object (a circle) by repositioning the circular fill's center point.

Regards, Ross

Attached Images Attached Images  

Something I found interesting in your animation is the "pupil" of the eye. It has the characteristic animators often use to express motion of a bouncing ball, that is express "time and motion" of an object by flattening (compressing it).

Your technique could be useful for quickly depicting this in other animations.

I thought I'd get loud with another strange animation. Again this one was made from a contoured shape. All the frames are simply repositioned fill handles within the contour. In the interest of reducing the file size I exported with only 16 colours. Although it lost much detail, it gained some "grunge" factor that I find interesting. Crude & rude. (Okay, so maybe it is just crude). It reminds me of the animation technique where the animator draws directly on the film.

Regards, Ross

P.S. Keep on posting folks. Keep the gallery kicking.

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 27, 2001 at 06:40 PM.]
    Attached Images Attached Images