Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need a CHEAP - wysiwyg program

If I just want to ask a question about web site design, where do I go?

My questions -

I know a little HTML - bold, underline, etc. - but need more to do a complete HTML web site - mainly being able to place things where I want them to be on the web site.

1- What is a good - CHEAP - wysiwyg program that I can drop Xara Xtreme 4.0 pages into?

2- Where can I get the scrip for the forms that one uses for email in place of having the email address on the web site? Can I put this on a Xara page and then get it to work on the web site?

Tks to all that spend their time to help all of us that have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

jb
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 November 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Moved to own thread
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Need a CHEAP - wysiwyg program

Jeb I have moved your post to it's own thread.

Jeb have you tried Coffeecup? http://www.coffeecup.com/html-editor/

It is $49 USD.

I have not used it for several years. I remember it was easy to use. I do not know how it would work with editing HTML created by Xara Xtreme.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You may want to give Kompozer a try, formally known as NVU.

http://www.kompozer.net/

As far as the second request goes, html won't process forms. You'll need a scripting language like php or cgi/perl to process the form and send an email.

If you create the form yourself, I can help you out with the php side of it. My drawing talents may be severly lacking, but, I can program pretty well.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    If I just want to ask a question about web site design, where do I go?

My questions -

I know a little HTML - bold, underline, etc. - but need more to do a complete HTML web site - mainly being able to place things where I want them to be on the web site.

1- What is a good - CHEAP - wysiwyg program that I can drop Xara Xtreme 4.0 pages into?
    It may look,like an attractive route to go, but that's going to be a harder thing for you to do than not use Xtreme at all. My advice would be to stick with Xtreme and look at the web pages produced. Expand your html knowledge until you feel comfortable making some updates to the pages by hand - notepad is fine.

This may seem a daunting proposition, but it's easy. Just don't rush ahead. Make a very simple web page in Xtreme, export to html see what you get, make some changes by hand. Get a book on html/check out some online tutorials.

This is a much better proposition that trying to dodge the "learn more html" bullet.

2- Where can I get the scrip for the forms that one uses for email in place of having the email address on the web site? Can I put this on a Xara page and then get it to work on the web site?
    There are a ton of them out there - google - but you need to know what is supported by your web host. Usually web hosts offer their own free scripts.

Paul

I agree with Paul, you can't dodge the whole HTML thing completely, you at least have to make some effort to learn some of the basics.

Anyway, to answer your question to the point, I use an HTML generator, not an editor, although I do own CCup as mentioned by Soquili.

Here is the easy peasy solution if you want to start that way, and for 39 bucks, for what you get, it's a steal - • has a great forum too •

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

Take Care,

Cheers - George

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    ...Where can I get the scrip for the forms that one uses for email in place of having the email address on the web site? Can I put this on a Xara page and then get it to work on the web site?...
    Coffee Cup can help there too

http://www.coffeecup.com/form-builder/

Though with a Xara created site it would be better to create a separate page for it.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

My all time favourite web building program is Serif Webplus. X2 is the newest but you can check out an older version for free, but of course it lacks a lot of modern stuff. What is most astonishing about this program is it actually does seem to make wysiwyg sites without just changing your whole website into a set of GIF pages with hotspots! And I don't want to learn how to edit HTML or CSS code. If you want to move an element within a Xara drawing you could probably open the .XAR file in a hex editor and change bytes about to get the desired results but no sane person would do that?!?!
    For my two websites (below) I'm using Webplus on the Ebbs Studio site and Wordpress (free) on the Design Reviews blog.
    Now webmaster at Design Reviews
    Design Tzar at Ebbs Studio

I'd second the Webplus SE option. Can't be beaten for free.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

In regards to Serif Webplus, can you do what the OP was asking?

"1- What is a good - CHEAP - wysiwyg program that I can drop Xara Xtreme 4.0 pages into?"

Quote Originally Posted by fredbassett View Post
    What is most astonishing about this program is it actually does seem to make wysiwyg sites without just changing your whole website into a set of GIF pages with hotspots! And I don't want to learn how to edit HTML or CSS code.
    I think Xtreme does the same doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by fredbassett View Post
    If you want to move an element within a Xara drawing you could probably open the .XAR file in a hex editor and change bytes about to get the desired results but no sane person would do that?!?!
    I agree, you would be.
    So why not just open the .xar in Xtreme, move the image then re export the html