Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Over the past 15 years I have made a living as an artist.A meager living, but yet a living.And just a few suggestions for those starting out.Keep it simple,It is easy to get carried away with all the gizmos a graphics program has to offer,but somtimes its worse to overdue then underdue.I am new to the computer graphics world and really enjoy this site and all the Q and A. But still I have not found a program that can outperform the old paper and pencil.some of the young talent here is incredible keep up the good work.

none
    IP

Over the past 15 years I have made a living as an artist.A meager living, but yet a living.And just a few suggestions for those starting out.Keep it simple,It is easy to get carried away with all the gizmos a graphics program has to offer,but somtimes its worse to overdue then underdue.I am new to the computer graphics world and really enjoy this site and all the Q and A. But still I have not found a program that can outperform the old paper and pencil.some of the young talent here is incredible keep up the good work.

none
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Bullet - I agree with what you are saying. There is much talk of the younger generation being so computer literate. What seems to be missed is that often the pencil can communicate so much more efficiently. Too many people haven't developed the basic skills they need to communicate a visual idea on paper. In my work as an architect I'm seeing fewer and fewer people who can sketch out an idea. It is a shame.

I find it very efficient to sketch out ideas freehand, and then review them before moving to the computer.

Below I've attached a sketch I drew on a trip to the Netherlands.

Regards, Ross Macintosh

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

I goofed up adding the attachment on my post above. Here's another try...
    IP

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

That would be tough to sketch out in Painter. That's why I have a scanner, so I don't have to sketch on the computer...

Dennis [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    IP

With my new tablet I'm finding it's not that hard in Xara X. Go here in the Xara Gallery Forum for a thread about sketching in a scibbling style that works well in Xara.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

Yes, but until the advent of computer graphics, I had no outlet.

I failed to inherit my families skill with pencil and brush, my grandmother, mother and brother are all fairly accomplished with the traditional art mediums. I loved art and technical drawing at school, but for some reason all my efforts were destinctly below average, full of smudges and unrealised or poorly implemented ideas.

All that changed in 1985 when I got an AMX mouse and graphics package for my BBC Micro.

What I needed was the ability to keep trying different things out on the same area of a piece of work until I was happy.

My initial work using the BBC Micro equivalent of Mac Paint even got published in 1986, it was simple black and white artwork using the airbrush and line tools.

This would have been unimaginable to me prior to 1985.

Computers have become my canvas and sketchpad and I for one would be a poorer person without it.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

I'm not sure about you Mr. Bulletproof Graphx, but on my next birthday, I will be 60! You read that right.

I was in advertising and graphic design for longer than I care to remember using all the traditional tools of the trade.

I have not touched a pencil or marker, let alone a T-square, triangle, or any other traditonal media tools.

It takes a while to figure out how to translate the skills from traditional to digital. But once you do, in my case at any rate, you will never look back.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...
    IP