Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default DW CS4 & WS4 will not work for me

Hi

I recently purchased Dreamweaver8 and I then uninstalled Webstyle 4 that I had been using with Frontpage 2002. I am using Vista.
    I downloaded the extension from Xara. Then I downloaded the Zip file for the fix that Xara offers to following locations
    overwriting the current files.

WS4DwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8
    \Configuration\Shared\WsDwExShared\

WS3DwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver8
    \Configuration\Shared\WsDwExShared\

XMMDwExCore.js to
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8
    \Configuration\Shared\XmmDwExShared\

I restarted Dreamweaver and placed my cursor where i wanted to place a navigation menu from xara but got the following message:

"The requested operation requires elevation".

Somebody please help.

Thanks,
    chjarrell

Default Re: DW8 & WS4 will not work for me

Dreamweaver 8 is over 3 years old (released Sept 2005) and obviously a pre Vista version of the Macromedia software before it was aquired by Adobe in the same year and therefore specifically not written to run under Windows Vista.
    However, like many legacy 'pre Vista' apps, installing as admin (right click installation file >> Run as Administrator) will often solve errors as this allows the installation to access the windows registry in order to write required values.
    In this way, many older apps will happily run on the newer operating system.

Of course, Webstyle is a more than 4 years old and very pre Vista.
    There have been numerous issues and updates requests recently for users of WS. Xara have made no indication that the application will be further developed or updated for modern operating systems.

"The requested operation requires elevation" generally means Admin permissions are required.

Hi Sledger,

I am new to DW but what i purchased was Dreamweaver CS4, which i believe was just released the end of last month. That being said I had no problem opening Webstyle 4 with Vista or the files to fix it, which I see that as you have mentioned, others have had the same issue but were able to cure the problem with the 3 files offered by Xara.

When I first installed vista I waqs opening webstyle 4 as the administer but I corrected that so anyone can open it.

Still exasperated and need help,

chjarrell

Ah ok - not version 8 as you first thought then, CS4 is version 10 of Dreamweaver, released September 23rd 2008