Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: need help with jpeg compression

Yes I usually process my raw files and do adjustments in lightroom and the few that need additional adjustments are sent to psp 9 ...Bob
    IP

I tried something else . I took this same raw file and exported it from lightroom to psp as a tiff. The tiff file was 28 megs. I did nothing to the file and saved it as a jpeg. This file was compressed to 450 k. I can't figure out why....Bob
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by robertj298 View Post
    The old jpeg file I recovered off the old hard drive was 4.68 megs after some adjustments were made. If I import the same file into psp now it shows as 2.78 megs doing nothing to it.
    On the face of it, that is impossible.
    Though I can't be certain what you are reading from, but as far as my experience goes, files are not compressed by opening them with PSP, they are in fact 'decompressed' for viewing. Further compression (if set) is done on saving

Again, without seeing your two files (your original .PEF and the 700KB .jpg from it) for comparison, there's very little else I can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj298 View Post
    Yes I usually process my raw files and do adjustments in lightroom and the few that need additional adjustments are sent to psp 9 ...Bob
    Aside from wanting to use some .8bf type filters, I can't easily think what "additional adjustments" you would need to make. Lightroom is designed for and capable of developing your RAW file to a complete finished and ready to print product.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 19 November 2008 at 08:05 PM.
    IP

You're right Steve 90% of my photos just need the editing I do in lightroom but a few need adjustments I can't do in lightroom. The 28 meg tiff file I was talking about wasn't compressed until after I saved it as a jpeg....Bob
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    On the face of it, that is impossible.
    Though I can't be certain what you are reading from, but as far as my experience goes, files are not compressed by opening them with PSP, they are in fact 'decompressed' for viewing. Further compression (if set) is done on saving

I think that part is lightroom compressing the files when they are exported. I had to upgrade to the new version after my computer crashed and maybe its not the same as the old version however a 28 meg tiff file in in psp I wouldn't think would be compressed to 400k just by saving it as a jpeg...Bob
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 19 November 2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: fix broken bbcode
    IP

I'm confused - are you 'saving' it as a jpg , or are you 'exporting/optimising' it as a jpg, there is a difference in PSP9
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I think everyone is confused now.. I've no idea what's going on over at Bobs place anymore..

Bob are you unable or unwilling to email those two files? (the .PEF and .JPG)
    IP

I just sent you the 2 files in 2 separate emails steve. Tell me what you can do with them...Bob
    IP

Thanks Bob. Will get back to you after checking.
    IP

Thanks again for supplying your file Bob. Here are my my results:
    Software used, Adobe Lightroom 1.4 and PSP X2 on Vista Ultimate 32bit

Pixel Resolutions unchanged 3872x2592
    Unchanged 96PPI (your JPG was set at 240 ppi by the way, but hasn't affected the file size)

Lightroom developed >> Export to JPEG 75% 96DPI = 947KB file
    Lightroom developed >> Export to TIF no compression = 28.7MB file

Open LR exported JPEG in PSP file is still 947KB on disk, info shows 29408KB (28.7MB) in ram (decompressed for viewing/editing)
    Open LR exported TIF in PSP file is still 28.7MB on disk and 29408KB in RAM
    (*using PSP's Image Information dialog (shift+I))

Save TIF as 100% quality JPG = 6.53mb
    Export TIF via optimizer as 100% quality JPG = 6.52mb
    Save TIF as 75% quality JPG = 703KB
    Export TIF via optimizer as 75% quality JPG = 696KB

Nothing at all unusual about any of these results especially in view of the pixel content, lot's of browns/oranges that can be discarded = smaller file once compressed...

BTW, not bad shot Bob, good depth of field example. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    Though your white balance is just a little too cold in my opinion, causing the subjects skin, hair and background grey areas to appear blueish.
    Attachment shows my WB preferrence in the top example with your result below.
    I've also made use of LR's clarity slider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	53790  
    IP