Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using placeholders to embed swf files into sites created by Xtreme

Okay from the outset let's be clear. I'm talking about websites created in Xtreme. In particular about using placeholders to embed swf files into these Xtreme generated html pages.

I'm not talking about embedding swf files created in Xtreme into html sites created by other applications (Dreamweaver etc).

There seems to be some confusion about the Flash placeholders so I'm hoping to throw some light on it. When creating a web page/site using Xtremes export as HTML option it's very simple to add Flash/swf content whether created in Xtreme/Flash/Swish etc.

All you need to do is create a rectangle on the page the same dimensions as the swf file it's going to hold. Give it no stroke & a colour close to your page background but different enough to see it during construction.

If your going to use this over several pages, I'd recommend copying this to the clipboard.

Now with the placeholder selected hit the Name Icon tag (Luggage Label) and in the name field type:
    Code:
    FLASH="myFlash1.swf"
    were the swf name matches the swf file you wish to load into the placeholder.

Now one very important point. The swf file being called must reside within the sub-folder that Xtreme creates when it creates the web pages. If it doesn't the swf's won't show.

See below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!gif.gif 
Views:	560 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	53715  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 17 November 2008 at 03:49 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Using placeholders to embed swf files into sites created by Xtreme

One other issue that raises problems is duplicating pages. Unfortunately this will duplicate a named placeholder over several pages, but the names [FLASH="myFlash1.swf"] will remain the same across all pages. This is why I recommend you copied the placeholder to the clipboard so you Paste in place in each page that it's required and name each placeholder individually.

I attach a zip file of a site of 7 pages each holding a different swf file.

I hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 17 November 2008 at 03:51 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And the xar files that created the swfs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Thanks Egg. It does work and when done correctly it works very well.

Same thing with renaming files JPEG to force them to export as JPEG and hot 8-bit PNG images.

Much of this and more is covered in the Xara Xone HTML Workbook. For new users starting out with web pages I recommend you have a look.

Couldn't agree more Gary. The problem seems to arise that in the initial release of Flash within Xtreme there was no HTML export and the preview window had a link to
    Inserting your Animation into your Web Page

Of course this code is correct if you're importing the swf into a webpage generated by NOF/Dreamweaver/whatever.

But with the advent of Xtremes HTML export whereby sites can be created directly by exporting the xar file to html then a placeholder is all that's required and the code hint is redundant/confusing.

But I agree totally the workbook covers the issues.
    Egg