Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xtreme Pro 4 crashes on save but not all the time

I have a strange problem that has been occurring for a few weeks now.
    When working on a file, when I click on save, sometimes xara locks up and the only way to clear the problem is a full restart of windows, Task manager can't close xara once it happens.
    Once reopened I can make exactly the same changes again but this time the file will save.
    The same file can be affected 3 or 4 times in a row and then start working without a problem.
    I tried a full reinstall of pro 4 but that made no difference, I also wondered if pro 4 was having a problem of waking up the D drive from standby when saving but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
    At the moment all I can think of is that something is running in the background at certain times of the day and causing problems with Xara. The only things installed lately are the new version of AVG free and the latest xp updates.
    Has anyone else come across this or have any other ideas of what might cause this.

Default Re: Xtreme Pro 4 crashes on save but not all the time

Quote Originally Posted by roguefx View Post
    When working on a file, when I click on save, sometimes xara locks up
    Are any of the galleries open and *docked* at the time?

Hi Sledger,
    None of the galleries were open during the crashes and only the colour palette was open and floating on screen during a few of the crashes.
    On one occassion, after about 10 minutes xara sprung back to life and finished saving the file.
    That's why I think that something else is interfering with it.
    Also if I repeat exactly the same steps on the same file most of the time the file saves properly the next time. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts.

Consider selecting all and copy/pasting to a new drawing and then save. It sounds like you've developed an unstable file here and copy/paste/save often erradicates the problem.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I've read reports of the same problems with other software when certain programs are also installed on a users PC.
    Programs like FolderLock and TweakUI have been known to cause crashing on save.

If using Microsoft "tweakUI" powertoy, you unchecked the "remember previously-used filenames" under the common dialogs settings, this may cause a problem.

Rechecking that setting might fix the problem.

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with Xara X1. With mine I can save to a different filename, but as soon as I do a save as to the same file name my program locks up just like yours. I need to reboot to get going again.

I have Windows XP.

You might want to read the thread "Xara 1 crashing my computer" which is currently going on.

Good luck, Al

I've been working with the files that have been giving trouble for most of the day without problem.
    I think the problem may have been caused by AVG scanning the D drive at the same time that I was trying to save there.
    I have two hard disks C & D with D used for data. I noticed that the problems tended to happen between 12 and 1 pm when avg just happens to kick in for a system scan.
    The two times that it happened later in the day the computer had been shut down in the afternoon so the scan started on restart.
    It would explain why once after ten minutes xara sprang back to life and saved the file.

There is still the possibility that the files have some sort of minor error in them as I did have some faulty memory a couple of weeks ago but some of the files weren't even created until after the problem was sorted out.
    I'll keep a watch to see if it happens at any other time but for now I'll avoid saving when the scan is running and see what happens.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Quick update.
    AVG Scan seems to have been the problem.
    Working with the problem files all day and had avg running but did not click save during avg's full scan.
    result, no problems with any of the files.
    Hopefully thats sorted.

I suggest you reschedule AVG's daily scan to outside normal working hours..

Hi Steve,
    Already changed AVGs scan time but just wanted to leave it as is until I had finished testing.
    Made minor changes to the files and saved them a couple of dozen times each outside of the AVG scan without a problem but a new file containing only a simple square locked up on save during yesterdays scan.
    Seems to be something happening since the last AVG update as it never used to happen.
    Scan is now set to first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the suggestion though and the earlier ones, all were most appreciated.