Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Christmas Glass Ornaments

Hi HayTay, great rendition. Any chance of a link to the original tutorial?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Using a variation of the technique Keith posted.

I used a portion of the Glass clipart in the Photographs 1 folder of the Clipart Gallery.

Copies of the larger ellipses were used with flat transparency for the reflections of the other ellipses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shiney_ornaments.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	53741  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

looks like it might be this one Egg, if not its similar:
    http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/glassornaments.php
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    looks like it might be this one Egg, if not its similar:
    http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/glassornaments.php
    Egg - handrawn beat me to posting the tutorial link. That's the very same Photoshop tutorial I was trying to follow sans lens flare filter and polar rectangular distortion filter. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Soquili - Those last ornaments you made using the glass clipart from the gallery remind me of bowling balls. Maybe because of the swirly colors and lack of ornament hangy thingies. The result is most impressive. Thanks also for the links to Gary Bouton's lens flare template and the subsequent application of it to create another glass ornament.

ss-kalm (and HaaKoo) - It looks like some really interesting effects can be had by utilizing the blend tool. Interestingly enough, I was going through Gary's Bitmap Fish Eye Lens Effect Tutorial recently and thought it quite nifty but didn't think to apply it as a reflective surface for a colored ball. Now that you provided a link to the original thread that inspired the tutorial I can see where the technique can be useful for more than just distorting images for fun.

Salaam - Thanks for pointing us to Penny's previous patterned ornament.

Angelize - I really like your holly-banded ornament contribution. Did you just stretch, distort and clipview the band or did you use the 'Mould Tool' to make it conform to the contours of the the glass orb?

Penny
    - That patterned ornament that you did, and salaam pointed us to, is absolutely stunning.

Sledger
    - The link to Klaus Nordby's beautiful lens flare and Xara X article was greatly appreciated. Who could've asked for more; a great read, history lesson, & technique builder all rolled into one article.

Wow, good job everyone. I've got lots of nice ornaments to ponder and try to duplicate.

Very inspiring,
    HayTay
    Last edited by HayTay; 18 November 2008 at 02:49 AM.

Okay, Christmas is far to far away to mention yet but I'm a sucker for a challenge.

Name:	!jpg.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	53745  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Okay, Christmas is far to far away to mention yet but I'm a sucker for a challenge.
    Egg,

Not too far, it's just a little over a month away now.

And challenge us you have. You've captured the reflective-frostiness of that type of ornament nearly perfectly. The ribbon, lens flare and backdrop add a nice, warm, homey touch. I always enjoy your works (or is that play?).

I've definitely got some practice to do to live up to everyone else's high standard.

Thoroughly enjoyable,
    HayTay

It's definitely play HayTay! Thanks for the kind comments. I only wish I had more time to spend drawing. I find it very relaxing.
    Egg

Bill, I love those spheres, they remind me of the marbles I played with as a kid. You never see kids playing marbles now, it's all Nintendo DS's.
    Egg

Just for fun, I bit the bullet and found a trial version of Photoshop 7 and went through the first 6 steps of the tutorial to produce the original lens flare and then the lens flare with polar coordinate distortion. Here are my results for reference. The polar coordinate distorted lens flare produces a very nice bubble or reflective glass orb effect. Of course it's only a raster image and not vector, but, it does give a nice result in only a few steps. BTW, even with the tutorial I am almost totally lost in PS7. How frustrating it is to do even simple tasks.

I put myself through PS7 torture just in case someone was interested in seeing what the lens flare would look like if the original tutorial was followed as intended. Or if they wanted to use it as a model for reproduction in Xara Xtreme.

Havin' fun,
    HayTay

Name:	Photoshop Lens Flare.png 
Views:	9657 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	53747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoshop Lens Flare with Polar Coordinate Distortion.png 
Views:	7892 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	53748  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

There are actually two molds in my ornament, first I molded the yellow band then I decided to add the holly, which I also molded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.