Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linking issues

Default linking issues

I'd be grateful for someone telling me what I'm doing wrong. (My wife's very good at this... except for Xara!)

I'm trying to create links to other pages on my website and having a devil of a time. Do you have to convert text to objects? Does it have to be in it's own text box? Why doesn't my hyperlinks change colour after I've applied them? (I can get it to underline the word... but its still black. I got one link to work but it applied itself to the whole group, rather than just one word. I'm sure it's something simple that's going to hit me like a big rock on the head when I realize it, but I need one of you to heft that first big stone.

Thanks, ... I think!

Default Re: linking issues

It might help us help you if you could upload your .xar file?

However, a quick answer would be that no, text doesn't have to be converted to shapes unless you have not used a web safe font, but remember that text as shapes can't be read by search engines.

Have a quick look at the movie
    C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme Pro 4\HelpAndSupport\ENG\webadd_small.avi

Also checkout Gary's Multi-Page website Tutorial

Thanks sledger for your quick reply

Attached is a mock up area where I created some common text. (yes I know community doesn't have 3 m's!... I'll get to it...promise)

The email link showed an underline once I nudged it down then up so it wasn't crowded with the phone number, but showed the hyperlink on export anyway. the menu bar doesn't come through on export although it does show the links. Some are pages in my future site and others are links to existing pages on the web.

Attached is the xar file. I appreciate you looking into it. Thanks again.

Metro Golden
    Attached Files Attached Files

Where's Mayer?

Steve is probably asleep now.

The linked e-mail address works for me. I just tried it.

The Xara Xone HTML Workbook covers all of this. And the May Xtreme Tutorial covers creating a multi-page website.

Have you checked these out?

It is not that hard once you get the idea of how to do it.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 07 November 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Sorry Gary,

I did notice the email link worked fine. I'm interested in what part of my link asignment on the bar with properties, community, etc doesn't.

Thanks for looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Where's Mayer?
    Probably with Goldwyn.

I had the same thought until I remembered that MGM's middle name is Goldwyn — as in Sam Goldwyn, whose name was originally Sam Goldfish.

The combination of the MGM lion and the goldfish could make for some interesting logo images, don't you think?

I'm glad you cleared that up Allison. :-)

As far as I could see from your linked nav bar, none of the text has a web address assigned.

I did notice that all the text for the nav bar appeared to be in a text area as opposed to independent and separate text objects. That could cause some problems.

Really?

On the nav bar, if I go into text mode and highlight a word, and right click selecting web address, it shows up with the selected link. This I find interesting.

Obviously I hadn't designed it as you suggested and will revamp it according to nav bar rules.

Thanks for looking.

My guess is that you grouped them (the links of Home, Properties, etc.) together at one point maybe to move or re-size them, or because they are in a text box. When you do that and export, they lose their hyperlinks. Don't know why that happens, my guess is because it then exports the group as a bitmap and are no longer text.

You're quite right, I did group them. It would be great if there was some master list of what not to do for the various catagories you could refer to as a general troubleshooting list.